What % chance of rain is your magic number?

Started by Jimustanguitar, July 18, 2012, 12:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

30% chance of rain tomorrow. Can't decide whether to take the bike or not. What % is your threshold for risking getting wet?

shep1

Hi Jim..Not sure there is a sure answer for this lol..If under 50% and heading to work I go..I also pack rain gear just in case..If you follow the weather forecasts it may take some great riding days away for you..That has been my experience..

fret not

It's always a good idea to have the right gear stashed in a tank bag.  You wanna ride?  Ride!
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

I rode in MN. and OR . regardless of rain . Here in AZ. its not such a problem . although I have been caught out here . Several times  I have been able to out navigate  the rain here, but once on my way home from work the water was 14 inches deep for  over a mile . All the while it was pouring during our monsoon season. I carried  or wore a rain suit in MN. and OR.  but not here.
In MN showers will sometimes be brief, I was caught a a red light and by the time the light changed it had stopped . OR. is a whole  different story.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

I ride (when my bike is not broken) in Oregon so there is a risk of getting rained on even if the percentage is 0. Idk if the weather is just strange around here, or the weathermen suck! Just ride! But as always be super cautious and offensive.
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

lexx790

I ride my bike to work every day now, so being in UK and its "summer" I get rained on most days  :D, it doesn't bother me.

vadasz1

I actually rode to work more in the rain than in good weather last year.  At least Mother Nature was kind enough to give me free showers.  ;)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

Oregon is some times referred to  as "England with mountains"
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

Quote from: Rick G on July 18, 2012, 09:43:51 PM
Oregon is some times referred to  as "England with mountains"

never heard that before! And I have lived here my whole life. Makes sense though... I do love it here though
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Jimustanguitar

The more I think about it, the more I should really go out and get a rain suit. I used to ride the motorcycle to my guitar students' houses, so I got in the habit of avoiding rain at all cost because I was carrying a guitar on my back. Now I don't have anything to lose and I might as well.

I do keep a few ziplock bags under the seat in case I need to put my phone, wallet, and watch in it, but that's all I do for rain at the moment.

Tiger

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on July 19, 2012, 02:05:56 AM
The more I think about it, the more I should really go out and get a rain suit.

Jim, do yourself a favour and buy a 'Frog Toggs' rain suit. They really are the
cats whiskers'...Lightweight, breathable, pack down real well... 8)

I always carry mine and Cathy's, along with over boots and waterproof gloves, in the back box of the Vision...That reminds me...Note to self...Fit a back box on the FJ and transfer rain gear before 'out east' trip!!!

If you don't have a back box, get a decent tank bag...that will do the job for you ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!