News:

Main Menu

Spring Cleaning 2011

Started by YellowJacket!, June 02, 2011, 08:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

not funny or coincidence...:) the older buss fuses aren't as efficient as the blade fuses....more continuity
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

YellowJacket!

Yeah, thats exactly what I was figuring.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

JDArgonaut

What is that little tray forward of the fuse box? That is awesome and I may have to fabricate me something like that. Can you also post some pictures of your driving lights that you were talking about? I don't see them on your picture.
All in,
JDA

YellowJacket!

That came with the bike, and if I'm not mistaken thats the tray for the tools - which are not in the picture.

David

Rikugun

Nice neat job!
Re: noticing a brighter headlight...

Quotenot funny or coincidence... the older buss fuses aren't as efficient as the blade fuses....more continuity

Not to mention addresing all the corroded wires and connections which added resistance. When I did the conversion I noticed my volt meter read higher by a half volt or better.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

YellowJacket!

Woooohoooo!  I now have a working digital tach!  Since I installed the Acewell digital gauge cluster, I've always had a problem with my tach reading wildly inaccurate.  Never could get a reading and it would usually peg at 20k RPM.  I had played around with how I connected the sensing wire by wrapping it around the front cyl spark plug wire, connecting it to the gray tach lead and the orange tach lead and never could get an accurate or stable read.  Also changed the "spec" which could be set at o.5, 1.0. 2.0, 3.0 and that made no difference.  I had posted on the acewell forums and a guy answered back about putting a 56k resistor inline on the sensing wire, which I finally did today and now it works great.  The only wandering I have is now due to my leaky YICS which is about to be fixed.

Not sure if its due to the wiring and fuseblock replacement - or all the other things I've done in the last few weeks - but today, all I had to do was bump the start button and YJ started up just like my car!

I'm now thinking about getting an old wiring harness and using it as a template to build a brand new one.  No time to do it now due to school but definitely something to put on the back burner and keep my restoration project going.

Got a bunch more studying to do and then going for a ride.

David

QBS

The little "tray" is original equipment.  I use mine to store spare fuses and nuts and bolts.  The tools are stored inside the tail light housing.

Hartless

YJ sorry if i sounded like a downer with the not funny statement...didnt mean it like that..just read it again and said to mysf elf" that was kind of a d*** comment" :D

Re-Vision

I liked your statement of "more continuity". It may not be technically correct but the implied meaning was clear.    BDC

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Hartless on June 11, 2011, 05:01:13 PM
YJ sorry if i sounded like a downer with the not funny statement...didnt mean it like that..just read it again and said to mysf elf" that was kind of a d*** comment" :D

No prob.  Didn't think there was anything wrong with what you said.   ;D

David

Hartless

Quote from: Re-Vision on June 11, 2011, 06:22:13 PM
I liked your statement of "more continuity". It may not be technically correct but the implied meaning was clear.    BDC

haha thats funny because i re-typed that word a couple times because i knew it wasnt right , but i couldnt think of the word i wanted...maybe i wanted conductivity...basically better electricity flow :)

Kevin

I don't know how you have gotten by so long with the stock fuse block. That's one of the first changes I make on the V's. Glad you like the rectifier mount, you had it quite a while.

Raj1988

Make him feel guilty kevin!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

YellowJacket!

LOL.   ;D

I have to have a reason to keep working on her.   :angel:

David

Brian Moffet

Um, I still have the original fuse block. Works fine (for me).

Brian

QBS

Same here as Brian.  However, there are secrets to obtaining longivity.

spectre

Me three, but I want to replace it :p
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Raj1988 on June 17, 2011, 01:29:11 PM
didja get the package?

Nope, hadn't gotten here yet...anxiously awaiting.   :o

David

Rikugun

To those with the original fuse block - it may be working fine but it's just a matter of time!  ;)  :o

I felt the same way...it's working, why mess with it?  You can keep the fuses/holder clips clean and greased all you want but there's nothing you can do about the factory crimps at the fuse holders. There is almost guaranteed some amount of corrosion on those connections hidden under the wire's plastic insulation- all the factory connections for that matter. I'd think this to be true of most bikes of this vintage.

The corrosion may not be at a critical point but is certainly making life harder for all the associated parts including charging system components.  My GPz burned a main fuse (the first in 28 years) on a ride last fall. I replaced it and made it home but noticed the fuse holder was quite warm. Turns out to be corrosion> resistance> heat>more resistance etc. in the wires near the (factory) crimped fuse clips. BTW, I had religiously kept those fuses clean and greased since new in '82. This spring I did the automotive blade style fuse mod and no problems since.

Soon after I did the Vision to avoid potentially getting stuck in the future. As I've stated in other posts, I noticed a system voltage increase suggesting that while everything seemed fine and was working, corrosion found in the wires during the changeover had been adding an unwanted load.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan