News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

new (old) bike !? Carb-muffler question

Started by Leather, May 21, 2004, 09:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leather

Hi all -

Somehow ended up with this '83. WHat am I thinking?

Anyway-

Hasn't run in ?? 5 years.  Some very gooey gas out of carbs.

Bike will run fine with carb cleaner sprayed down carbs.  But not on own.  What am I looking at here?  Am not carb expert on these things.  I am thinking stuck floats. Or something similar.

Any hope of freeing up carbs without taking this apart?  Have run till very hot and banging side of carb with wood hammer.

Any suggestions appreciated.

ALSO...  what is this muffler. Predator?  Too lazy to research.  I'm sure you recognize.

THANKS  (as always!!)

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

Walt_M.

Well, you pretty much know what I'm about to say, carbs will have to come apart for a good cleaning. The pipes are Macs.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

Leather! shame on you, you knew the answer before you asked it, lol

Anyway Walt is right, and if you ever decide to part that beast out, let me know..  ;D

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Leather

Yeah .......  I was in denial.... hoping for some backyard-driveway mechanic solution (miracle).  I guess I'll roll up the sleeves.

I have this thing soaking in B-12 chemtool carb cleaner right now (give it one last shot).  That Chemtool BTW is the best carb cleaner around if you've never tried it.  Be careful though, takes the paint off and melts plastic.  Runs circles around gumout.

MAC exhausts......   got to say, this thing sounds great in the driveway.  Not sure how they feel on road.... but ... makes the bike sound "bigger".

Well, if I gotta take these apart... standby for more questions.

Basically got this bike from a custom bike builder who bought another bike but had to take this as part of the deal.  He didn't want it so threw my way for next to nothing.  In good (fair) condition.  Outside of this carb thing bike is only missing cosmetic pieces that I all ready have.  So, may try to get back on road if it doesn't soak up too much time.  (did I really say that?)  Its another black hole isn't it.  HA.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

Walt_M.

It might be if you didn't take the floats out of the carbs before you soaked them! BTW, mine didn't look much better than that when I started fixing it and it has been back on the road and running sweet for almost a year.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jasonm.

There is a water based cleaner that you dip the whole carb in a gallon bucket. BUT you must remove alll rubber parts. This stuff eats all bad stuff away in 10- 30 minutes maybe more. Then rinse with water. I bought mine under the GUNK brand name.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

QBS

How many miles?  Don't forget about the clutch reattachement before 27k and the starter seal (and probably brushes too) replacement before 10 k.  

Cheers.

Jon

Sweet ride.  Looks just like mine did two weeks ago when I got it!  My engine finally runs but not well...  I'll need to do a carb cleaning too.  
I found a brass wire brush and some WD will get that corrosion off the aluminum pretty quick, and a paint additive called penetrol will clean that plastic up with just one wipe.  
Does anyone have tips on cleaning out corroded brake lines and cylinders?  Any good chemicals for that?