News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Comming home on a wing and a prayer , or just one cylinder.

Started by Rick G, May 21, 2008, 10:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I went for a ride  last Saturday , with the local CMA group, to Seligman , a 150 mile round trip, up  Old 66 and back.  It was a very enjoyable ride . Old 66 winds  along  through  rolling  desert with a variety of scenery, ranging from flat desert to low mesa's . It runs along side the BNSF tracks for much of the way.
We stopped at Seligman, for carrot cake and coffee and topped up our tanks . We noticed a variety of wild life, from antelope squarrels to  several does, browsing along the road. We also observed more than one hawk.
The ride went great, untill , when we were approching ValleVista , my vision started missing on one cylinder . I limped the last 15 miles home . Its been having some low speed /idle  issues for about a month and I think there's some thing  in one of the carbs that shouldn't be there, maybe water! There's  a bug ride this weekend  so I'll have to get busy and figure this out.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

thats the nice thing about having a spare set of clean carbs.  Quick swap and you're back on the road.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Actually, I have a set that are  off the spare vision and as alast resort I'll switch 'em.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rick G on May 21, 2008, 10:51:34 PM
my vision started missing on one cylinder .

Emulsion tube

;D

Brian (I have no clue if that's it or not, but hey, it worked for me...)

Rick G

actually its 6 and a half  + an engine . That's not counting  my rider and spare.
Rick G

supervision

Same thing happened to me one time,  water has the ability to plug a main jet.  Took out the main, never even saw the water,  put the main back in,  ran fine again.  I  have never liked the looks of those low corners in the front of these gas tanks, natural spot for water to sit while it rusts a hole in your tank!   I tilt the tank in every direction, when off, to prevent this from happening. 
" border="0

Lucky

Quote from: supervision on May 22, 2008, 08:00:03 AM
.... I  have never liked the looks of those low corners in the front of these gas tanks, natural spot for water to sit while it rusts a hole in your tank!   I tilt the tank in every direction, when off, to prevent this from happening. 

Hmm, gives me an idea (Uh-Oh!)

if i add water to my tank every now & again, it'll settle in the low corners of my POR sealed but still slightly weepy tank.  this way i'll only drip harmless water, saving fuel & paint...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

Yamaha didn't do us any favor, by throwing those low spots.  Gas flows down hill.  Just need to let Dwight ride it, he imedyitly  wheeelys everthing he gets on, that will keep them clean.   Or just hang a petcock, in each corner.  Or, just, shit can, these bikes, and get a harley, they know how to make gas tanks, properly   
" border="0

Rick G

Ya, but the bikes are antique crap!  Maybe we can just get a hardly  dangerous gas tank! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G

Tanno

But, aren't there other issues to deal with.....like constant oil leaks?
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Rick G

I've had conversations with novice and experienced HD riders, The novice riders generally do not go on long rides, and even trailer them to destinations. Old timers will give you  a laundry list of stuff they don't like. Some treat them like they were a gift from God and can have no faults.
Rick G

jasonm.

Quote from: Lucky on May 22, 2008, 08:35:56 AM
Quote from: supervision on May 22, 2008, 08:00:03 AM
.... I  have never liked the looks of those low corners in the front of these gas tanks, natural spot for water to sit while it rusts a hole in your tank!   I tilt the tank in every direction, when off, to prevent this from happening. 

Hmm, gives me an idea (Uh-Oh!)

if i add water to my tank every now & again, it'll settle in the low corners of my POR sealed but still slightly weepy tank.  this way i'll only drip harmless water, saving fuel & paint...
Lucky, Your tank leaks ? I thought POR15 was the best thing in the world. Glad I soldered my tank and sealed it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

slightly, & i think it's my fault.  i got the smaller POR kit thinking it would be enough, it wasn't...

Rick G

I had the small one too, but it did the job . There was a surplus that drained out . I checked it with a small battery powered bulb dropped into the tank and a mirror , it 's all coated.
Rick G

Coil Coyle

Remember,

When Lucky did his, he was in the same part of the country where CrackerKorean had his POR turn into a ball and ruin a tank!

$0.02
;D
Coil

Lucky

I've never understood how you guys have extra to pour (not por) out these kits come with what a half pint??

Night Vision

maybe the humidity was high when you have done yours... higher humidity will make Por set and dry faster
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

true, & i've allways aimed for high humidity days to coat these tanks.  anyway, i'm not worried about it...

Rick G

Humidity is usually low here, unless its actually raining. My Por 15 took its sweet time in curing.
Rick G