News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Go West, Young Man

Started by Raj1988, February 24, 2010, 12:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) That's a bugger mate...and they just had a snow storm hit Calgary last night too!!! Got a plough blade with ya by any chance...LOL
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

AHHH found a parts bike, ripped her up, stole her stator.  ;D... In Duluth now!!!! Dealership had me by the cohones and fleeced the living crap out of me. Stay away from BSA of Marquette!!!!! :)
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

:) At least you are back up and running young fella... 8) Keep us posted....
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

vadasz1

This should be a great story to read when he gets there.  Maybe should be made into a sticky post once completed so any other NEW long distance riders will know what to expect from their bikes.  This just shows that you can never be guaranteed a trouble free ride.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: vadasz1 on April 30, 2010, 08:57:03 AM
This just shows that you can never be guaranteed a trouble free ride.

:) You have to remember that this is a Vision that has only done a couple of thousand miles in the past 5 or 6 years and is therefore still a bit of an unknown quantity...regardless how much work has gone in to her... ;)

'Raj will win through on his wee Vision, I'm sure 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

QBS

I'm pretty sure that carrying a spare stator was among the responses that his call for traveling spare parts suggestions elicited.

Kenny

Never taken one with me !! You can always charge the battery on your overnights  & ride with the headlight unplugged - they will run all day like this.  :D .  I ran one back in the mid 80's from Cranbrook B.C. to Edmonton  with no issues. ;)
                Cheers Ken S.     
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Raj1988

thanks for all the encouragement folks. Crossed into N Dacota today and am motelling it in devil's lake. I was worried about frying the TCI which is why i didnt want to ride more than i alrread had i.e a day or so.
Today was more productive. 600+ kms, one leaky carb line fixed. one vac cap lost, the other sealed, lovely people befriended and oh yeah, plenty of push starts. My starter which first developed flat spots has now compeletely shut down on me. Occationally it cranks a bit if its in the right spot. And then just clicks. Yummy, more new stuff do in calgary. in the words of that infamous carrot munching wabbit......Thats all folks, and a good night to all

funkamongus

Ah yes, adventures!! How fun! glad youre back up and running even if it is push started!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on May 01, 2010, 12:40:16 AM
My starter which first developed flat spots has now completely shut down on me. Occasionally it cranks a bit if its in the right spot. And then just clicks.

:) Turn on the ignition, squat down by the starter motor with a hammer or rock in your hand, press the start button and give the starter a 'whack" (or a couple of whacks) with said hammer or rock at the same time...Does the starter turn now?? If so, it is in need of new brushes most lightly...available at a starter rebuild shop for around $20.00 a set.

Keep on running 'Raj... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Cdnlouie

Raj you are certainly a daring soul!  I apologize for being a prophet on the stator issue.  Nothing like the school of experience where everything you learn is not soon forgotten.  Resourceful you are for certain....what an adventure you are having!  Something you can tell your kids about down the road. 

You most likely need the starter brushes and we have them here if you need them shipped out (got the measurements if you want to look for them at rebuilt shops).  It sounds like your trip out pretty much tested everything, so the bright side is that you should have a good trip back  :laugh:.

Keep on riding...

akvision

Raj, am still on the road... but the fairing from AKVision is in a box in Denver... if you want me to ship it, I need your address..

SO I need and address...

send to my traveling email at   usa584@gmail.com

I will send out of Denver to you..

AKV
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Kenny

Excellent Raj,
     I'm envious, I've spent a a couple of nights in Devil's Lake - always due to Weather : once a State Trooper stopped me and advised me to head back into town as the road heading west was closed due to heavy rain. Next time I was just glad to get a place that was dry. Both times I stayed in the last Motel in the west end of town.
    I hope that other than your Mechanical woes you are enjoying the trip, I've only crossed once in the spring and found it a great experience as Nature was in full force with all the new life.
                         I hope the rest of your trip goes well. ;)
                                             Cheers Ken S.       
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Raj1988

Arrived early Monday morning at about 1 am. 1100 odd kms on the last day. Been at work since.

Walt_M.

In my experience, most kms or miles are pretty odd at 1 AM. Glad you made it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Cdnlouie

Well done!   ;)  That's a good run! Now to pay the bills!   ;D

Raj1988

Well its about time to start the return trip back home. i've got about a month to do all the routine maintainance and track down a spare stator and all that good stuff before i begin to head back East.
Found an old starter for dirt cheap, opened it up... brushes and commutator? are in good shape, much better than mine,... Expect for atleast 30cc or oil that poured out when i opened it. Good news is that the oil kept the rust out......

More updates to come and at some point in time, a write up of the trip!!! I hope all goes well enough so i make the Fall ride with TIGER and NV and WOLF and KEV the gang!!!

Suraj

kev10104

Raj1988

Cleaned and rebuilt my first ever STARTER... It worked!!! Also tossed in a new battery we have a successful mission. Tomorrow I help the only other V owner in town... We will be changing his Intake boots and mount his old windshield on my bike to see if its any better than my 1/4th factory fairing with regard to buffering.

Just got back from a 2and a hlaf hour drive to a small town between Calgary and Edmonton where the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Association was holding a rally. Many british and italian bikes and a few of the more famous Jap ones. Some in excellent condition but mine was the only VISION....

Raj1988

Oh well, things have come to a head and it seems like I may have to try and sell my beautiful Bike.

It looks like i do not have the $$ to afford a trip back Home. Shipping is quite expensive as it stands... i really do not want to do this but looks like its the sensible way to go about things,