News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Almost lost it this morning in the rain......

Started by vadasz1, June 09, 2010, 07:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Glad you are ok Robert.  We are all lucky when we can LEARN from our mistakes.  It gets the adrenaline pumping and its more likely to be retained in the brain.
I've ahd my fair share of bumps and bruises.  I made a fool out of myself a few years ago when I put my left foot down on an uphill right turn.  Put my foot right down in sand and went right over.  I mustered every bit of strength to try to hold her up but my foot kept sliding and I had to let her go...right in front of a bunch of my co-workers.  Ended up cracking my signal lens and breaking off my clutch lever.
Still stewing over my mishap, I drove to a gas station and filled the tank up and let it spill over which increased my level of aggravation.  Left and made a left turn out of the gas station and hit something slick and went over onto the right side.  Broke off my brake lever and more gas spilled out.  I learned from it though and I'm more careful not only of what is immediately around me but way up in front of me.
When I'm riding, I'm always looking for an out and concentrating on whats several car lengths ahead of me, especially at intersections.  I slow down regardless of whether the light is going to change (it eventually will) but there may be someone coming at me that wants to make a left turn and not signal or there may be someone who wants to make a right turn and not come to a full stop.
I just recently went into a turn a little too hot and ended up leaning further over than I ever have and was thankful for the forgiveness and handling characteristics of the Vision.  Again, for me though it was another learning experience.  If it was wet, I surely would have gone over.
As bikers, our risks are inherently higher but I do the best I can to minimize any risks and anticipate the rest.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)