News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Got my first Vision

Started by Kiwi, July 01, 2009, 11:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

Well, i picked up a 1982 ( i think ) vision to be a project and then my first motorcycle !
Wish me luck... this is going to be interesting.
So far i've patched a few small rust spots in the tank, cleaned all the electrical connectors, replaced the headlight with the original one, just cleaned the carbs ( and found a broken float ).
It does turn over, and if in gear, the starter motor will make the rear wheel move.

It was $300 and i've put about $200 in parts/fluids into it.  So far it's going well.
Now... once i actually hear it start... then i'll be very happy.

I'm glad i found this forum and a few good websites

US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

funkamongus

Congrats Kiwi!!! Keep us posted and good luck!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kiwi

Funkamongus, as in the guy with the youtubevideo ?

YellowJacket!

Yep, thats him.....
See the link in his signature line below his posts.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Oops.  Forgot to mention....Welcome to ROV.  We're a pretty close group of Vision owners and riders.  Some of us are still Vision pushers or rollers but on their way to being "Riders of Vision".  This is probably one of the friendliest discussion forums you will ever visit (besides my xz550 discussion forums), so don't be afraid to ask a "stupid" question.  You'll usually get many quick and accurate responses.

Welcome to ROV!

David

kev10104

Welcome Kiwi.The vision was my first bike which I purchased lastyear and love it.I hope you do as well.

Glyn

Hey Kiwi, If you want a natter about Visions, I'm in Auckland. E mail   pickteam@xnet.co.nz
I have an 82 Red 550,the one with the white stripe which I have mildly modified. Have done a fair few fixes to it as recommended on this site. They are a good bunch here and always open to questions. Welcome to Vision ownership.

funkamongus

YEP Kiwi,, Thats me!! sorry, im no cameraman!!!!!!! Hows it going so far??
I own:

Kiwi

Going well i think...
Got the gas tank sealed, waiting on a replacement, and i think my battery is messed up ( it's new, but even when charged for 2 days it cant quite turn it over... it used to a week ago )
Swinging by the place i bought it tomorrow and have a talk with them

Kiwi

Battery issue solved.... faulty charger.  Batteries Plus Changed it out for me with no problems.
Got my front brakes working today... thats a good start.
Waiting for some floats for the carb and that goes back on.
Taking the rider safety course on Monday and Tuesday, and then i'll go get a license.
Just took YCIS off, and it fell into two pieces... looks like i'll be glueing that back together.  It's obviously happened before on this bike.
Oh, and i finally got the mirror off the old master cylinder... that thing was very rusted on.

Boy.. I cant wait to hear it run !

funkamongus

Lap the yics box.. sandpaper on something flat, like glass,, make sure its flat. I cut a gasket out of napa gasket paper and red RTV... Good to go, for now, anyway. Good luck on the course and your license..
I own:

funkamongus

Batteries plus,, oh man, Ive had BAD things happen with them.. I will never go into another one. EVER. Look them up on the BBB. My complaint is one of thousands.
I own:

YellowJacket!

DO NOT just glue the YICS back together.  It won't last.

In a nutshell, get some gasket material and cut a gasket to fit the edges of the YICS including the center divider between the two chambers.  Line all edges of one side with red RTV then stick the gasket to the RTV.  Quickly apply red RTV tothe edges of the other side of the YICS then clamp the two halves together until the RTV dries thoroughly.  It will then be sealed - at least it should be.

Lucky has more detailed instructions on his website at www.xz550.com

David

Rick G

Mine lasted for 6 years. I used J B weld to seal it. Finally, a few months ago it failed , so I gave up, removed it and capped the ports. if your going to use it, do as YJ said and make a gasket and seal it up.  Good luck!! :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

When I fixed my YICS, I used the gasket seal operation, lapping the halves and it has lasted 6 years - so far.  If I only have to do it every six years or so, it isn't a big deal.  I also used aviation form-a-gasket on each side of the paper gasket.  Don't forget to include the stiffening web when cutting the gasket.  Keeps the sides from blowing out under pressure.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on July 10, 2009, 08:08:20 PM
...... so I gave up, removed it and capped the ports.

:) Hahahahha, you and me both Rick...mine is now a garage wall ornament!!!

8)......TIGER....... 8)                     
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kiwi

I GOT IT RUNNING

Yay

Put in the new carb float today.... and she started up with a little coaxing and some patience.

Idles at about 1700rpm

Now onto the next problem... the clutch is frozen ( i think ) ... Off to the tech forum i go

Thanks again for all those who have helped

funkamongus

Helps to rock it back and forth, I read .. also on luckys DVD... Lots of important details on there.. The yics instructions I followed were from luckys site too..
Kiwi,, Im so Psyched for you to get her running. Dont give up yet,, more to do,, syncing the carbs, replacing your bolts in the brake stabilizer bar, and more.. important,cheap, easy things that can save your life.. I happy for you!! Congrats.. be safe!!!
I own:

Kiwi

I just took my first lap around the block !
Officially a Rider of Vision, not just a owner :)

I cleaned my carbs and still have the issue of dying if i get on the throttle.  I'll have another go at them tommorow after i do a few more slow speed laps.
It's kind of like a new rider safety device at the moment... Use to much gas and it stops

Kiwi

Back to being an owner... not a rider.
I got ready to take it to the local Kwik car to get the safety inspection
And it wont start ( see my posts in the tech section )
So.. there i am in the drive way, helmet and gear on, neighbors watching... and all i hear is the Whirr of the starter
I killed my battery trying to get it to start.
More carb cleaning i guess.
It runs quite nicely if you spray some gas into the carbs

*sigh* licensed, insured, and going nowhere