Compression Gauge Thread Adaptor???

Started by Cdnlouie, October 07, 2002, 07:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdnlouie

Does anyone have a source for a special adaptor that fits the spark plug thread for the Vision and connects to a regular compression gauge? ?Or a compression gauge that actually comes with our particular spark plug thread size?

I need to get serious with my rear cylinder,

Louie   ;)

Dave T.

The adaptor you need is a 12mm one. I am not sure of the pitch, probably 1.25mm. The kit I bought has a 14mm and a 12 mm adaptor. It also has a "standard" male thread I assume is not metric, like something you would screw in to a Briggs N Stratton lawnmower.

I bought it at Champion Auto here in the states about $30 us. Looks like it's made by IEC corp?

If your having problems with your rear cyl compression, make sure your valves are sealing good before you tear down the cylinder. You can do a leakdown test with the carbs and exhaust off. I made a 12mm adaptor and put it on my air bomb, put the the piston at TDC and regulated the pressure down and brought it up slowly. Spray a little solvent in the cylinder before and watch for bubbles. Also listen carefully for the ring leaks if the valves are OK. If you are having a valve sealing problem, make sure the springs aren't sagged and there isn't carbon around the faces.

Good luck!   :o
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Lucky

um... to simplify about the adapter...it's a standard size, same threads as the plug.  Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Hi louie , I bought mine from JC Whitney for $29.99  part # AEC147807n  it came with three adaptors  and was NOT chinese junk (made in the US)  good qualty stuff.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike