Todays Ride With Lucky

Started by YellowJacket!, August 08, 2006, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Met up with Lucky after work today for an East Tennessee countryside ride.  We didn't really have a plan for where we were going but just knew the general direction.
The fide almost got nixed due to a  sudden thunderstorm and downpour at my house but after a call to Lucky's and assurance that the weather out his way was nice, I was off.
First leg of the trip was the roughly 25 mile somewhat twisty ride to Lucky's.  Nice ride down highway 11 with a few twisties.  Weather was nice too.  Got to Luckys and we checked over our bikes including the brake stabilizer bolts. ;D  My front tire was down a bit so after adding some air, we were off.  First stop was to top off our tanks since we really didn't know where we were going.
We followed HWY 72 to Paintrock and Kingston.  Along the way, we passed my wifed old highschool (I had never seen it before).  72 was nice and twisty and was within my comfort level.  We kept the speeds at a mild 35 to 55 but had a burst up to about 85.  Lucky's bike accelerates MUCH better than mine - I see carb work ahead-.  We stopped for a bit to decide if we wanted to continue on 72, which we did.  We followed 72 to 58 which wasn't very twisty but was pretty scenic.  From 58 we went to 304? which I know as River Road which heads out to my in-laws place.  We followed River Road which started out with some great views and som really good twists and turns.  We stopped at my in-laws (but didn't visit) and decided to continue down river road which goes on for quite a while.  We stopped for a quick drink of iced tea and made a U turn to head home the way we came.  I was pulling lead this time a nd got a little scare when I entered a turn a little high and fast.  Dropped down a few gears and kicked into the lean and the V pulled me through it like a champ.  I slowed down a little after that.  We had actually stopped once to check my front end because it fealt a bit squerilly but everything seemed tight enough and the air pressure was holding.  Gotta switch to the tapered bearings though as I think that was the culprit.
The ride back to Lucky's was great and the sun was starting to set, so things cooled down to a more tolerable level.
From Luckys place I packed up my stuff and headed for home.  All in all, the ride together was probably about 80-90 miles of back roads,  add in the round trip to and from his house, I did probably 140 miles today.
We also figured out a way to go to deals gap from our houses on nothing but back roads, so that trip is in the near future.  I don't know about "slaying the dragon" but I might just try to poke it with a toothpick at first.
Most of the time the V performed pretty darn good.  There seems to be a barely noticeable hesitation while I am cruising.  I'm not seeing any real change in RPM's but it feels like a surge/slow ever so slightly.  I won't do a Dragon trip until I'm sure my carbs are perfect and not until after we change over to the tapered bearings.

Take Care All,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Serendipity

Waaaaah!!! I wanna go back!!  :D

Glad you guys had a good time!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Serendipity on August 08, 2006, 10:51:46 PM
Waaaaah!!! I wanna go back!!  :D

Glad you guys had a good time!

C'mon back any time.  We even have a guest room.
I'm off work towards the end of september and hope to have some king of SEROV get together around then.

David

Serendipity

Thanks so much Dave, we really appreciate the offer. Unfortunately we've got a lot going on in Sept so there's not much chance, short of winning the lottery that we'd be able to make it.

But I'm wondering, when does it start getting cold/snowy up there?

Patti (has lived in FL too long)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Serendipity on August 10, 2006, 03:04:28 PM
Thanks so much Dave, we really appreciate the offer. Unfortunately we've got a lot going on in Sept so there's not much chance, short of winning the lottery that we'd be able to make it.

But I'm wondering, when does it start getting cold/snowy up there?

Patti (has lived in FL too long)

cools off in november, gets real cold in december but snow is iffy.  best chance for it is usually dec to feb.

David

kiawrench

gee whiz,,, and to think Lucky was going to move here,, where snow is a news report,,, lol.. trust me,, in his new home  Lucky will ride 11 months of the year, the 12th will be all maintenance .

if i could quit trying to cripple myself, am going to make a run up there just to get a Lucky inspection on my v .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .