News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Fairing material

Started by sunburnedaz, December 09, 2009, 04:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnedaz

So everyone what are the OEM Vision fairings made of. When I pulled these units from the box it looked like fiberglass from the back side of it but I could be wrong. I have a few cracks I will need to repair to get the old nose and side fairings back in tip top shape for painting.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Brian Moffet

Fiberglass...  There are a few pieces that are plastic (like the leg-warmer vents) but the rest is pretty much fiberglass.

Brian

Tiffanator

Yay fiberglass! I love working with fiberglass. If you need any help let me know.  :) The top is probably gel coat and the back is a fiberglass mat or chopped strand.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Lucky

Tiff,
if you love fiberglass (& i hate it with a PASSION!!!) do i have a project for you!!

I'm working on a cafe hard seat for my Cafe Vision & instead of making a plug for it, (because i'm lazy) i fbuilt the seat up with spare foam, & fiberglassed over it to make the shell.  needless to say it needs  A LOT of refinement'  i've even considered cutting the top off it to lower it just a bit, but that's part of the longer story i won't go into now.

anyway, maybe we could work out some kind of trade since i'm outside of knoxville, where i could help fix up yours & you can finish my seat (up to primer)?  poss ship it here, or the wife & I could come out for a couple of days (but not likely...)

do you do upholstery too?

also if you ultimatly do decide to get rid of it, & i hope not, don't part it out. i'd be interested in it whole if i could swing the price & gas...  i'm looking for a 3rd for my wife &/or son...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiffanator

Lucky, I would love to help you out with your seat. In the beginning the plan for my vision was to actually make it a cafe style... but other projects got in the way. I was going to make a whole new seat out of fiberglass that had a single seat and a rear cowl that opened for storage and tied into the tail piece. Just let me know how we can work it out. How far are you from Birmingham?

The old girl has grown on me over the past 3 years, I don't think I could part her out.
Tiffanator
First time restorer