News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Update on my fried stator cure

Started by darkvision, July 06, 2011, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkvision

Hi,  I posted a couple of years about my attempt to prevent early stator failure  by installing cooling fins on the left side engine case. I installed my last stator (my 4th one,  a used Honda Shadow 700 stator ) in 2007  at about 19K miles and bolted on 2 heatsinks over the valve timing inspection cover .    IR gun heat testing indicated a temperature of about 140-150*F. after a long hot run with the cooling fins and a temperature of over 212* without the cooling fins.  We verified this last summer while riding with Visionmeister and Racer 8 by pouring water on the cases;  theirs instantly boiled the water ,  mine didn't. Now I'm at 37K miles with the same used stator working great.  attached is a picture of my cooling fins. 

vadasz1

Are those fins just some standard computer processor cooling fins?
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

darkvision

Hi, Yes , just some surplus heat sinks

supervision

I guess I better do the same, don't need to budget that improvement!  Only makes since that it would be cooler, and your stator life is almost double mine, so far.
" border="0

vadasz1

DV:  show us the pics of your installed heat sinks.

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

QBS

vadasz1

Sorry, didn't recognize the cover under all those fins. 

That sure is one ugly looking setup, but as you say it works FANtastic.  I wonder if putting a fan on the fins would make a bigger difference o not.  Hmmmmm........

Lucky

No offense intended.. but boy.. that's some butt ugly..  
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kev10104

Good for you Darkvision for thinking outside the box.

Rikugun

While some unnamed poster focused entirely on the aesthetics of your experiment, I'm impressed by the numbers. That is a significant reduction in temperature especially given the convex shape of the alternator cover. I'm guessing there is less actual contact then the physical dimensions of the heat sinks would suggest? Or did you shape the back to follow the contour of the cover. Either way, nice results. I especially like the "real world" test with water to back up the numbers. Nothing like a live demonstration!  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

darkvision

Thanks !  Now that I'm running with side panels it's amazing how heat is emitted from the cases, particularly the left.  I did a short ride wearing  ankle high boots and ankle socks and it would just about cooked my left ankle.  If I ever get a larger heatsink , I could cut it to the contour of the stator bump but for now its covered by the sidepanel so its ugliness is hidden.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on July 10, 2011, 05:25:46 PM
I'm not unnamed, it was me...

:o Noooooooooooooooooooo, really, that was you!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

But I do agree with your sentiment, regardless... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

VFan

The numbers are indeed very impressive! I still get uncomfortable during the summer months as I watch my temp needle creep closer to the red. Having said that the heat sink isn't viable for my situation. I suffered 18 months of berating from my wife before I got the RJ looking respectable (it was totally hammered when I bought it) and thus earned a spot on the driveway. If I put those heatsinks on my bike, it would get the boot back to the side of the house behind the fence.

supervision

" border="0

munkyfistfight

I wonder what those heat sinks are made of and if one could be fashioned for the end of the cover (designed for both functionality and cosmetics) to even replace the little crankshaft end bolt cover. Especially if the numbers are that drastic.

A heatsink plate that bolts on to replace the YICS logo thingy. If done correctly, it might not be drastically noticeable.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Rikugun

Kudos to you sir, you get it.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

JohnAMcG

They are usually copper or some aluminum alloy.  Copper I think is better for conductive reasons, while the aluminum alloys are better for manufacturing.  Not sure though.  Either way, a great idea for a bolt on upgrade, that Im sure someone a little more artistically inclined than myself, could make look "cool". 
-JM

munkyfistfight

It might be simple to make a cast first. Like a plaster cast of the outside of the case, so we could make a mold for the convex outer shell, and go from there. If the numbers are really that significant, we should all do this. It seems less invasive and complicated than constructing an oil cooler.

I really like this idea.

I have an idea for a drawing of how this should look.

How deep are the fins on the heat sink you ran your tests on?
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Night Vision

I've clocked 12,000 miles on a used Hondo Shadow stator...  my longest lasting stator so far.....knock on wood  :-X

I think the quality of the stator has much to do with longevity....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano