Update on my fried stator cure

Started by darkvision, July 06, 2011, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

If the cooling fins were cast to surround the stator area of the side cover, a possible attachement system could include threaded holes through the side cover to hold screws that inturn would afix the cooling fin casting to the cover.

Screws through holes in the perimeter of the side cover could be used to attach the casting to the cover. The screws would have to be short enough so as to not penetate beyond the inner surface of the cover.

munkyfistfight

In 30 years, have there been no real breakthroughs in the causes to our charging system failures?
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Rikugun

Not to any great extent. Even newish bikes have issues with stators and R/R's.  You'll of course see examples of newer and older bikes with trouble free charging systems over tens of thousands of miles but in general I don't feel bikes have achieved the reliability of automotive systems.

The MOSFET R/R's seem to offer improvements in charging quality and power. I think they turn the stator off and on continually to control output rather than have the excess of continual full stator output grounded as with an OEM shunt style R/R. They run cooler and one would think cause less heat in the stator as well although some disagree. (this is where Cdnlouie will want to jump in to champion the series type R/R) MOSFET is relativley new as applied to bikes and is only found in a handfull of later models. Only time will tell if it offers a substantial gain in long term reliability.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan