News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Synthetic Oil and non-silicate antifreeze

Started by dtknox, July 15, 2003, 06:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtknox

There was a posting, some time ago, stating that the Vision ran cooler with synthetic oil.  Early this year, I switched to Caster full synthetic and the temperature gauge was noticeable lower. The synthetic oil is expensive, but I do not put a lot of mile on the Vision and I can afford two oil changes a year.  

There was another posting that using Honda?s non-silicate antifreeze also helped lower the temperature. Two weeks ago I switched to Honda non-silicate antifreeze. I have put on 250 mile since then and the recapture gauge has only gone pass straight up, except when we were in stop and go traffic for a log time.

I do not know how posted the information, but thanks for the suggestions.  Both of them really worked.
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

Rick G

non- silicalate coolant is a must  ! it also lengthens the life of the  water pump mechanical seal.  I've been using Torco  synthetic blend  and have noticed cooler running and smother shifting.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

I ask this question every time I hear info about the "non-silicate" anti-freeze . WHAT DID WE DO BEFORE this stuff? My '87 Venture has used standard antifreeze for over 60k miles. Water pump seal is fine. Did you also know that once you go past 5 years with the "DexCool" type stuff, it turns to sludge. Thus clogging your radiator. This happened to my work van. Talk to any seasoned mechanic, he'll tell you the same. Just mark your calendar.  I agree, most quality syn-oils are great.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

HelenJames

I think this topic was already mentioned at this forum
My personal My Space homepage , personal essays

supervision

A couple years ago, bought an 03 GMC Safari van with 5 year old Dex-Cool and almost 90,000 miles on it. I knew the coolant hadn't been touched so I changed it first thing. My local GM parts guys, just said, flush it a time or 2 and refill with about 50-50 soulotion of it and drinking water. I was really impressed with the overall look of the old stuff and also the condition of the radiator tubes, I put a thermostat too and that area was spotless also.. I used the left over to change my vision, and put one of the automotive  parts house thermostat. Dex-Cool reminds me of synthetic oil. I had read bad things about it too, but to me it makes sense
" border="0

Lucky

Quote from: HelenJames on October 02, 2010, 05:11:24 PM
I think this topic was already mentioned at this forum

nothing wrong with that. My guess is that as a newbie you've been lurking for a while & reading old posts. that's good.  questions get re-asked here adnausium because people come & go. it's why we're here :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black