News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Assembly Line

Started by Re-Vision, September 13, 2009, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

We need to come up with a plan to ship Tiger,Vadadz, Rick and other experts the components they need to upgrade two or three bikes a month until all of us are Tigerized.  I'm sure there are a dozen reasons why this wouldn't work but I really am serious about wanting to do it.  By the time I learn how to overhaul a carb,  fibreglass the tank leaks and repaint everything, add SS brake lines, tapered bearings, fork seals, overhaul starter and replace stator I will have become a jack-of-all-trades motorcycle expert.  When I see how long it takes some of you more energetic rebuilders it kind of depresses me.  Cheer up Bob, think all the rain we've been getting has depleted my cheer level.  BDC

Brian Moffet

You can always do a "rolling restoration".  Pick a part that needs upgrading, for example the stainless steel brake lines.  If you have everything together, they should take a day.  As far as fiber-glassing the tank, rebuilding the carbs, those are longer term projects, but easily done in a long weekend.It took me a while to rebuild my carbs in terms of total time, but in terms of hours it wasn't too bad. 

Of course take everything I say with a grain of salt.  My bike has not been through what most of the others have been through. 

BDM (to follow your lead :) )

Tiger

:) Believe me when I say that I'm no expert...I started with one Vision, "The Mistress" in July '05. She, initially, went in to a shop that could help out with a Vision!!! They cleaned the carbs/gas tank/serviced/tuned, certified etc...A week later, $740.00 lighter and she was running like a dream...just what I had paid for 8) It was shortly afterwards that I found the ROV site ::) ;D :D :D... 8)

Since then, like almost everyone on here, I have dug in to my Vision more and more...preventative maintenance I think they call it... :o ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Visions 2,3 & 4 were "donor" bikes that have helped me (and many others) keep a Vision on the road for another year or two...It was also the start (#4) of the Vision rebuilding urge...just one....O.K...one more and so on ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I enjoy the challenge of bringing another Vision back to life and getting someone else to enjoy the fun that we all get when they buy a running Vision... 8)

With the aid of the ROV, members of the OnROV, some great Non-Vision people, this would not have been possible. We, everyone of us, are a great team of special people here on the ROV... 8) All somebody, (new or old), has to do is ask...and they get the help/advise/part(s), etc, etc. I'm one of many that are here to help, were possible... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kev10104

Well said Tiger.I wish I knew half the stuff you guys know but it you don't try then you won't learn.Thanks to you I have done many repairs and checks by myself.Last year I probably would not have even attempted any of it.Thanks again buddy.

sunburnedaz

Come on Re-Vision I have not done a project like this in a ever and I am only 25 and getting some good progress made man. You just got to have faith that you can do it, and a lack of fear helps too.  ;D
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Lucky

Quote from: Re-Vision on September 13, 2009, 04:23:30 PM
Gotta start brushing up on this synching business, I can read about it all day but until I do it its hard to remember everything.  BDC

That's exactly right, hard to visualize what you've never done, BUT, once you've done some wrenching, it gets easier to understand what your reading & makes the actual wrenching go faster, you teach yourself tips & tricks without even realizing it.

For example: After so many years turning a wrench, i can torque a bolt without a torqe wrench & get it pretty close to specs...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

That's ok, i wouldn't trust your butt to it either!
:o :o :o
  ::) ::)
    ;D ;D

8)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

don_vanecek

I have done most of the upgrades on my own Vision and I tell you I was alittle scared to tackle some of them but in the end, while time consuming, they were no harder then repairs I have made to many different cars over the years. I did however chicken out and have a shop do my valve adjustment two years ago now and boy did I pay the price for that!  Special thanks again to NV for his help when I did my starter clutch! My Vision would probably be in a junk yard if it wasn't for all the information and help from ROV!

I always worry however when we get a new member on the forum with one of those Visions that has sat for many years and the member has never worked on bikes and cars.  However I must admit if I was a young person nowadays with cars as complicated as they currently are, I would probably not have much experience making the kind of repairs that would then help me fixing old motorcycles!