News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Woo! (CB750 Build :D)

Started by inanecathode, May 19, 2007, 11:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Got the carbs on today, the new cables, the new battery, and the new ignition.
Good news: She cranks very well
Bad news:
-Won't start with choke
-Only runs on gas i spritz into the carb throats
-Barely runs on extreme choke, ie, my hand over the throats
-Cylinder 1 isnt firing

Guess the carbs are coming out again to make sure they're totally clean. Can't imagine i missed anything, i dont understand why its not running. Cylinder 1 might be a bad plug as the header is totally cold.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

inanecathode

Just for giggles, i adjusted the idle mixture adjusters all the way out, just to see what'd happen. This is the result:

The idle mixture of course needs some fine tuning, but the reason it doesnt like to rev is the accelerator pump diaphragm looks like it's made out of quarter inch rubber, i cant compress it by hand and i doubt a spring loaded arm could. The bowls probably ran out of fuel as well.

Why cylinder one wasnt firing:

Dunno if you can see it, but the main jet emulsifier looks like straightened elbow macaroni

Pod filterrrrrrrs!

Gas tank upon emptying revealed almost no rust anywhere i can shine a light, no particles were captured upon draining as well. Petcock doesnt leak. Getting the clutch cable on, some oil, then it's out for a test ride  8)

h2olawyer

What is it with Honda 750 tanks?  A friend has two of those bikes he's making into one drag bike.  Both tanks were nearly spotless inside.  One is a 76, the other is a 78 or 79.  Tons of aftermarket performance stuff is still available for those bikes as well.

Macaroni emulsion tubes don't work quite right, do they?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

You're right, they dont. They rich the HELL out of the cylinder, so it doesnt even want to fire. Makes it seem like the plug is fouled.

inanecathode

Geh, cylinder one is back to riching out, and the bike in general is back to not running well. I suspect the floats, as they were when i took them apart, upside down. Now that i'm not just running off a bit of gas in the bowls (tank is on and flowing) i suspect that additional fuel pressure is enough to overcome the probably wrongly adjusted float levels (i can imagine putting the float in upside down, then thinking (hey wtf, its not flowing) then adjusting the float accordingly.
Oh well, cb750 is kinda going on the back burner for a while, this vision taunts me.

h2olawyer

To paraphrase Norman MacLean:  "I am haunted by Visions."   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

When i get pushed i push back harder. Miss V has pushed me. It's ON!

inanecathode

The cb lured me today... miss v scolded me, so i decided to do a bit of thrashing on the cb750.
Just for giggles i let it totally warm up before monkeying with anything.
BIG BIG BIG BIG difference, after warming up and a bit of adjusting it runs like a DREAM. Literally, i have NO complaints with how it's running. Firing on all cylinders, none too hot, none too cold. Battery charging, everything.
The CB is clearly showing off for the V, hopefully the V doesnt get pouty and'll meet that challenge!
I think this bike was a parts bike at some point, theres all sorts of stupid little things stripped off of it, nuts, bolts, the ignition was missing, seats gone, stuff like that.

To do list:
Take off rear wheel and figure out wtf is wrong with the brakes, pedal isnt returning, bike is incredibly hard to push
Figure out where the rear turn signal wires go
Replace the headlight (high beam is bad)
Fix the dash nonsense, someone put a single speedo on it, new bracket, idiot light assy, tach, cable, wires
New tires/tubes

zore

You know, I think I may start fixing my 81 cb750.  THANKS ALOT  :-\
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

inanecathode

Dude i'm telling you, it's the anti vision. Everything is so linear and logical. Once it's running its a totally straight forward process. No weird visionesque gremlins.
Here was todays done list:

Rear brake: Wasnt working because the pedal and the puller arm werent indexed together, took it off, put it back on, now it works.
Headlight: Unknown, but the plug that goes to it isnt powering up the high-beam circuit, warrents more investigation. Headlight is actually a duct taped on vetter fairing light... wtf.
Turn signals: plug in the unplugged sockets that were... 3 inches away from the wires
Dash Non-sense: Got the tach won, shipping as we speak

To do list:
Get a headlight and bucket assembly. Gotta get those wires and plugs in something (a wrap of innertube doesnt count, former owner)
Figure out the wiring non-sense. (Actually got it mostly figured out, two wires going at the same time means one goes to the indicator, the other goes to the activated object)
Get turn signals
Register, insure.

Actually not much left to get done, just some electrical sillyness. The V is almost done as well so, thats all good :D

inanecathode

Ew!
Headlight bucket needs LOTS! of hardware. All sorts of screws, rings, springs, nuts washers, eyes of newts etc. Dash is kinda screwy too, i've got 3 different style handlebar clamps. Planning a trip to steeles on thursday to get all my hardware :D

inanecathode

I went to steeles, and look what i came back with!:

Wait, HERES what i came back with!

Mmmm headlight bucket, complete with new hardware, ready to rock

Gauge bracket, dash pieces misc hardware

I'm fairly jazzed, Just have to figure out the electrics now. Not too hard, just get a dvom on it for an hour or so.