more powerful braking

Started by EH, January 29, 2008, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EH

I am thinking about installing 1999 R1 brake calipers and radial master cylinder onto my 1982 Vision. The only question I have is- do I need to have floating discs with these 4 piston calipers? I am planning to use large 82 rotors on both sides of the front wheel. A dry run with a set of forks that are off the bike presents no clearance issues with the wheels. This is with 1 bolt in the top caliper hole and bolted to the fork. After centering the caliper on the rotor I will have a local machine shop fabricate an adaptor to the lower caliper hole. I got the calipers and master cylinder from ebay.

inanecathode

Cant even the 82 front brake lock the front wheel up?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

tben

yep, Its no problem with a S.S. front brake line ($42 at my LBS) and properly bled brakes. This can be a P.I.T.A. ;D
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

QBS

If the discs can be made to be centered within the caliper, there shouldn't be a problem.  What might be a problem is mounting the right hand caliper on the right hand fork leg.  Just putting another '82 left hand fork leg there won't work because the caliper mounting holes will be facing the wrong way(outward).  Using '83 fork legs will give you mounting holes facing inward on both sides.  But there are several problems to be overcome with that scenero, not the least of which is part aquisition.

Glyn

I've got twin  slotted XZ400 discs on mine with std callipers and SS lines. Far enough braking for the road, maybe not for the track however.

Kenny

If you look at Burke Storti's  82 Vision on the second gallery page you will see another option although I don't know if it is still an available.
   He has a Performance Machine Caliper with three pistons, that along with SS lines should lock the front wheels.
                                             Cheers Ken S ;D 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Rick G

Burke had two really nice Visions, Both included lots of up grades , I Had the opportunity in 2002  to buy them for 1500.  but couldn't raise the money in time.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kenny

"Aye" Rick, Sure like the look of that machine in the Gallery.Doesn't look like a stock Fairing on it,but I don't know the type.
   Like your collection of bikes.
       On the Road...er Air.
   Cheers Ken S. ;)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

jasonm.

EH ...check again. The R1 caliper are quite a bit wider than the Vision caliper. .You must have the caliper centered over the rotor...SO clearnances my be tight facing the wheel "spokes" ... I know ...I did what you did with an FJ1200 4-piston Yamaha caliper...ANd the caliper could not be centered wthout hitting the wheel.  I had to put it a bit off center. ALso you likely will not be able to mount the caliper to either fork caliper hole because the caliper must ride at the edge of the rotor. So what you need is a total relocation bracket made. I know..I tried on my '82. I made the bracket. My issue was strictly clearances.  IN fact, my bracket will fit you R1 caliper...I was using an FJ1200 caliper. Both have the same mount spacing. You don't need 2 R1 calipers. My single FJ1200 caliper alone was better than the stock "V" caliper. I put it back to stock before I sold it. Hope yours works.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules