Off to the Silicon Valley from the great white North (any members in the area?)

Started by Raj1988, July 10, 2011, 11:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj1988

Well, the cycle of internships always throws up a surprise or 2. Last summer it was a 4 month jaunt to Calgary, the launch pad to the rockies, And now its San Jose, California (..... (I haven't thought of a fancy phrase for it yet) ::)  for my Fall internship with a small tech firm as a product manager intern.

As some of you know, I have been in a bit of limbo lately with balancing funds for school and other certifications, and not wanting to incur any loans, I have been slowly selling all the upgrades from my bike to raise some $$ thanks to some great people here on the ROV, have been successful to a large extent.

Yes, parting her out did cross my mind but I couldn't bring myslef to do it. What with the complete NOS German star silver with white stripe tank and side cover set i bought last year and all my little improvements to the bike..

Well she is almost back to being a stock Euro 82 with a US 82 front end and short risers. I have been having a very hard time selling her (I really haven't put that much effort into it  ;D). Now with this new development, It looks like My Vision is going into storage for the foreseeable future. I will be taking the tank and carbs off, Draining both and filling the tank with pouches of hygroscopic beads, bubble wrap and store in a corner of my Parents garage. Carbs will be dried and packed up, battery passed along to a friend who needs one, cylinders filled with oil.. and there she will stay until I have set up shop somewhere long enough to afford to bring her back to life.

I really wish I could ride my V to SF/SJ like I did last summer to Calgary, but that would mean I would have to pay insurance in Ontario which is stupid expensive and not worth it.

On to to the future -
Once in the valley, I'm hoping to buy an economical bike to get to and from work and for fun jaunts around the state...

Any info with regard to riding clubs, routes, salvage yards, good bike shops for gear and what not would be much appreciated from out California ROV...would be great to meet up too over my term is anyone is interested!!

If there is a clean well running vision in the area for sale, i'd definitely be interested... As with most other bikes as long as they aren't inline 4's

Well now its back to exams to get this term done and dusted.

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Hartless

Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Raj1988

rbranche

I have four (Visions) sitting in the back yard...they aren't even close to running though. One even sat in a wood-shop with an open engine.  :-\

Anyway, I live in San Jose, so hit me up when you are in town.

Rick G

rbranche are you related to gbranche , who used to pass this way 5 or 6 years ago?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

rbranche

Yea, Dad (gbranche) moved to Ithaca, New York and left the Visions for me. If anyone lives in that area (Finger Lakes Region), I'm sure he'd be willing to have some riding buddies.

Night Vision

hmm... I visit Ithaca on occasion.... what's he ride now and does he have any secret roads?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Raj1988

RBranch, for sure I will look you up once I get there... It could be fun to get another V back on the road

rbranche

I'm not sure about secret roads.

He still has his red Yamaha GTS 1000, but he got a second silver one. He bought an Aprilia Futura recently. Also in the garage are two Ninja 250's (one is my brother-in-law's bike) and a KZ400 (my Mom's).

NV: PM me if you want to get in contact with him.

supervision

Iv'e been talking to him a few times, seen pictures of the bike collection, he's in the country, and even has a tractor!
" border="0

Night Vision

Quote from: rbranche on July 27, 2011, 12:44:44 AM
I'm not sure about secret roads.

He still has his red Yamaha GTS 1000, but he got a second silver one. He bought an Aprilia Futura recently. Also in the garage are two Ninja 250's (one is my brother-in-law's bike) and a KZ400 (my Mom's).

NV: PM me if you want to get in contact with him.

hmm... one day whilst toasting to my brother's birthday in Groton, NY (sorta near Ithaca).... we were sitting on a porch at a restaurant across from a bar (because the bar was closed) and a guy on a Red GTS 1000 stops and takes pics of our Visions parked in front of the bar (that was closed).. and then left..

we thought it a bit strange and assumed GTS riders were a bit odd, just like Vision riders  :D

I'll pm you to get his contact info
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

rbranche

gbranche

Quote from: Rick G on July 23, 2011, 06:34:29 PM
rbranche are you related to gbranche , who used to pass this way 5 or 6 years ago?

I still pass through here infrequently. Since moving to Ithaca in 2007 and leaving the Visions behind in California, I don't have too much need for the technical expertise I came to rely on while getting my sons on their bikes. Besides, they're big boys now, and can take care of themselves.  :)

Greg

js9_20

Quote from: rbranche on July 12, 2011, 04:57:35 AM
I have four (Visions) sitting in the back yard...they aren't even close to running though. One even sat in a wood-shop with an open engine.  :-\

Anyway, I live in San Jose, so hit me up when you are in town.
Hi, I'm in Sunnyvale.  Are you interested in offloading any parts?

Raj1988

Hi Guys,
I just bought a 2000 GS500 for a steal and a half but It needs a little work.. Anybody willing to let me use their tools for a few house to get her back in tip top shape??

Cheers

Re-Vision

A lot of Yamaha riders would not want their tools back after they've touched a Suzuki. Just kidding, a few house's use shouldn't hurt good tools. Brian Moffet lives in San Francisco,hit him up.    BDC

Raj1988