Another Ontario Vision...

Started by Tiger, August 23, 2009, 09:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Last Saturday I had this oil sodden, sad looking Vision from Oshawa, roll in to my garage for some much needed help...Oh boy!!!

We went at her all day Saturday (last) and Lou came back with her yesterday and we spent from 8.45 a.m. until 7 p.m. getting her, some what, up to par... :D :D :D :D... ;)

Here is a list of work done, (not in chronological order), over those two days...

* Oil seals on front forks were leaking so I dropped them out and slipped in a good set... 8)

* Front caliper was thick of fork oil, so that was cleaned up and reinstalled...with the master cylinder cleaned out, fresh fluid installed and new screws replaced the old ones in the cap... 8)

* The old girl wasn't taking any charge sooooooo, left side engine cover came off and one "Black Cajun fried stator" was removed, as was the flywheel. The 46mm nut, as usual ::), was found to be loose and therefore re-tightened with the two lock tabs peened over as they should be.

I had already set up, Friday night, a left side engine cover with a gently used stator in it and a flywheel that had the old soc' head cap screws removed, starter clutch checked and new soc' head cap screws inserted with RED loctite applied and tightened down...and of course, centre punched!!!
The flywheel was installed and torqued down to the correct setting, a new side cover gasket made/installed and the "new" engine cover put back in place.

I made a bracket for the R/R and this was installed, along with the R/R, on the left rear fender bolt (just above the swing arm).

All the wires, for the stator/trigger/R/R, were extended and wired up... 8)

* Fresh engine oil took the place of the black, lifeless p**s that had flowed out...and a new oil filter was installed... 8)

* New battery to ground wire was made and installed, replacing the oem one which was junked... 8)

* A new battery took its place in the battery box.. 8)

* The oem fuse box was replaced with new in-line fuse holders and fuses... 8)

* Ground wire for the TCI, under the left side coil was cleaned, as was the frame and reinstalled... 8)

* Air box, which was thick of oil, was removed and replaced with a clean, dry unit and an air filter, which was MIA!!!, was also installed... 8)

* A re-tape of the wire loom was done as the bared spaghetti of wires were impeding the choke lever mechanism... 8) 

* Replaced the coolant overflow bottle cap, as the old one was missing... 8)

* The rear brake bar bolt had snapped and wrapped the brake adjuster rod around the ass end which in turn had bent the rear brake shaft that goes into the rear brake drum plate and actuates the rear brake shoes... :o :o :o
These parts were all replaced, the rear brake having been serviced and the brake bar bolts replaced... 8)

* A rear tire replacement was needed as the old one had about as much tread as a babies bum!!! Amazing what I have in here... :D not new but a decent, legal, replacement was installed... 8)

* A few odds 'n sods were replaced...nuts, bolts, screws, vacuum lines, gas line, in-line gas filter, etc, etc... 8)

Lou eventually took her for a test run and he was really happy with what was achieved with his Vision..."its not the same bike" was his first comment...you bet yer ass in isn't buddy!!!... ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;

Another satisfied Vision rider joins our growing crew here in Southern Ontario, Canada... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

Tiger, You're simply amazing.  It takes me weeks to get myself motivated to work on a major project on my bike and you dive in like a school of hungry pirhanas at a raw meat festival.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kojo

Wow, congrats, Tiger! I'll bet that thing runs like a dream, or close to one.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

Tiger

Quote from: Kojo on August 23, 2009, 02:11:08 PM
Wow, congrats, Tiger! I'll bet that thing runs like a dream, or close to one.

:) Close enough to get a cu-pee doll!!!  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Now back to the garage...I have another Vision in there for a safety Cert' check and some accessory work to be done as well as #14 to get back in to... :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

kev10104

Those bikes from Oshawa sure like coming and then leaving your place Tiger.All for the better of course.

Tiger

:o It must be the air in Oshawa, eh Kev'!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

kev10104