A "First"???

Started by Tiger, January 25, 2010, 06:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) For me anyway!!! Now, bare in mind before you read on, this Vision came in to my place, from a new member, as a non-runner, like most do...........

I decided, as I'm waiting for parts delivery, to remove the left side engine cover and check the starter clutch, balancer nut, etc...(as normal!!).

I eyeballed the starter clutch bolt threads and found one backing out... ::) Ah, no big deal ::)

so, I pulled the flywheel from the shaft and as it bounced along the garage floor...yes, flywheels do fly!!!...the starter clutch was sitting on the shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...ALL three soc head cap screws had sheared off at some point...NO WONDER THE BUGGER HAD STARTING ISSUES for the previous owner (wanker!!!) ...GO FIGURE, EH!!!

The starter clutch and flywheel are FUBAR'd >:( ::) So once again, the flywheel/starter clutch assembly that I have for my spare motor, was installed...bugger!!! New gasket made, side cover reinstalled, new Stainless Steel soc head cap screws replaced the oem ones and new oil and filter installed.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

funkamongus

Well, THERES your problem!!!!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kev10104

Can't you just smell the riding season coming buddy?It will be another awesome one!

dcsob

HMM,
Tiger,
assuming this is the V from the dude who runs the courier service. The poor guy counted on "professionals" to run diagnostics and fix the problem. He paid alot of his hard earned dollars for this priviledge. It's very sad and yet it's very telling about the competence or lack thereof of some of the "mechanics" out in the world.
It's sad because these are the pro's. Taught at schools, with the paper that says "I Know What I am Doing" you peasant, now away with thee whilst I conjure up the spirits that are beyond your comprehension. 
I venture to say and say correctly IMHO that a self taught mech who gives a hang could have caught it just by listening and "thinking".
Yet someone who is self taught couldn't even get into the door to change a tire at most places, sigh.
I haven't darkened the door of a dealership since 1979 when I got hosed big time. I don't trust them because they don't care, to most it's just a job. That opinion isn't the one I want from anyone who would work  on anything.
To make it clear, if there aint no passion in the person about what they do I'll look elsewhere till I find it.
Good day.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations'

funkamongus

well said. When its me, MPH, two wheels, and asphalt, I try to trust everything about it, especially who worked on it.. I trust me. Not Joe Blow at the stealership who doesnt wanna work on your bike, anyway, because its too old, in his rough estimation.
I own:

Night Vision

Tiger, don't you mean to say......

Quote from: Tiger on January 25, 2010, 06:30:35 AM
.....So once again, the flywheel/starter clutch assembly that I have for my spare motor, was installed... and a brandy new one was ordered courtesy of the owner
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

funkamongus

LOL... and revision to my earlier post,, I trust Tiger too!!!
I own:

jasonm.

Tiger,
 Were they original bolts? black 12.9 grade . The 12.9 can be seen on the heads. Usually when loose , the 12.9s wobble out the threads in the flywheel. I know you know your hardware. BUT WAIT! you used stainless? I hope not on the clutch. STainless usually is only grade 2.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Tiger

Quote from: jasonm. on January 26, 2010, 06:42:22 PM
Tiger,
 Were they original bolts? black 12.9 grade . The 12.9 can be seen on the heads. Usually when loose , the 12.9s wobble out the threads in the flywheel. I know you know your hardware. BUT WAIT! you used stainless? I hope not on the clutch. STainless usually is only grade 2.

:) Black as the ace of spades & 12.9, for sure...I kept everything for Mike to see!!!

The Stainless Steel ones are for the engine side cover...

dcsob ... No, not the courier dude...this guy, Mike, is a new member (or will be by spring) to our group.

N_V...will be...LOL

Funk'...I trust me to...LOL
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

motoracer8

It's amazing the so called pros could'nt figure that one out, ramp and roller type starter clutches have been used on motorcycles of all brands for a long time.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Tiger

:) The three starter clutch rollers were kaput too...!!! forgot to mention them ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

jasonm.

Nice to know ...Black 12.9,  is beautiful
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules