82 XZ550 Project- got my work cut out for me! All input welcome!

Started by Porpoise_of_doom, July 02, 2010, 04:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on July 15, 2010, 09:57:47 PM
Quote from: Tiger on July 07, 2010, 04:38:00 PM
:) I just went through the same thing on Sunday past, at the beginning of my brothers Vision build >:(

8).......TIGER....... 8)

This wouldnt be the frame you got off me would it with the ownership ? i spent a good half a day trying to pull that darn swing arm off the frame!!!!

::) YEP!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Porpoise_of_doom

So I ended up sacrificing the swingarm (well part of it, its still fixable with a MIG to fix a couple of divits the angle grinder made). The frame was then sent to a guy I know who is a fitter and turner to remove the races from the roller bearings, as I just wanted it done fast while I was working, then I could theoretically pick it up on the way home and get a few hours paint stripping in before bed.
It took THREE FREAKING WEEKS before I got a phone call to say his 20 minute job was done. Hell, I could've done it myself in that time with a line or arc weld on the insides, which is my planned I'd discussed with this guy.
When he called, he said I might want to get a tube of devcon.. so alarm bells went ringing. As it turned out, he'd used a damn air chisel, so I won't be using him again. Rough as guts!
On the upside, the bolt on the other bike slid from the bushing with no stress or pain, so the previously stripped frame has gone into storage and I've sandblasted, removed those little tags for the wiring loom, and finally painted the frame and footbegs, stands etc with K&H Gloss Black Chassis paint, as I know from experience with dirt bikes that the stuff can take abuse. Hopefully will get into the swingarm tomorrow, providing this rain buggers off.
Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Yamaha LB80, DT80 and YZ80
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
83 XJ750 (my first real love, miss her dearly)
3x Honda XL175 (I want another!)
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC
Yamaha QT50 and Suzuki U70 as a kid

Porpoise_of_doom

It's been a good 7 weeks since my last post here but I swear I've made progress..

I like the look of the polished console- I'll need to clean up the plastic with some Meguiar's colour restorer or something similar, but you can get the gist of what it'll look like. All I did was clean up the rough outer edges (at least those that would be visible) with some 400 grit, then cutting polish No2 on my dremel, then autosol. To get that modern brushed alloy look on the top face, I just ran it across a belt sander, taking any rough edges and facing it perfectly flat.

Frame/stand was done in K&H Chassis paint, and the swingarm was done in Wattyl brushed aluminium. Both came up really well I think.

The rear mudguard was installed too so I could get an idea of where to mount the new blade fuse box. Any ideas on how to clean up the black plastic? I've tried Meguiar's Plast-x, but there's a kind of white marbling where I suspect the guard has flexed. I've got another so I'll see if that's any better, but I suspect it won't be.
Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC

QBS

If worst comes to worst, you can always paint the fender.  From what your progress to date shows, I can't wait to see your next report.

Porpoise_of_doom

Thanks QBS, I've had a closer look and I reckon painting the fender is the best option.
Oh, forgot to add that I get hold of taper bearings for the steering stem. I went into the best local bearing shop who (almost) never fail, and they couldn't help due to the OD. But believe it or not, there was a set in town by a brand called All Balls Racing, which I tracked down through the local Yamaha dealer. I was stoked!
Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC

Porpoise_of_doom

I had the spring for the rear shock powder coated last week and just put it back together. I was surprised to find that the powder coating help up remarkably well against the spring compressors (I guess multiple layers of soft polishing cloth helped). The shock unit was resprayed in Rustoleum Gold, which looks great with the flecks in it, and the black plastic insert had a go in the dishwasher.
Now it looks like an Ohlins shock!

The guy who does the powder coating is a motorcyclist as well, and he's taken a special interest and charged me only $25 including sand blasting. He offered to do the whole frame for $70!!! If only he'd mentioned that a few weeks ago :( that's probably what I spent on blasting medium to do it myself, as well as paint stripper, paint, etc.... I'll definitely be keeping him in mind for the other bits and pieces!
Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC

Tiger

:) Coming along well and looking really good... 8) Your going to love having this wee 'head turner' back on the road once again 8) 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

Quote from: Porpoise_of_doom on October 08, 2010, 05:42:31 AM
Oh, forgot to add that I get hold of taper bearings for the steering stem. I went into the best local bearing shop who (almost) never fail, and they couldn't help due to the OD. But believe it or not, there was a set in town by a brand called All Balls Racing, which I tracked down through the local Yamaha dealer. I was stoked!

:) www.pyramid-parts.com  they are in Aus' as well mate :o ;) They supply: tapered head bearings, front & rear wheel bearings, fork oil seals and/or dust covers, brake pads, etc, etc, for Vision's...Its who I use, but out of the U.K. or U S... ;) 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Kevin

It's coming along fine. I also have a good friend who powder coats. It's very durable. I've never been a fan of the silver swingarm. The vision I built for my daughter was painted semi gloss black. We would have powder coated the swingarm but the bearings were  going to be a hassle to remove.     

Porpoise_of_doom

Not much progress has been made at all since my last post, I've continued lurking the forum though. The last month or so has been devoted to chasing down parts and reading and learning about my Vision, as somethings come up..
The girlfriend got a job in South Australia's Riverland, as assistant winemaker at one of the bigger wineries there..  So that's meant the shed has had to be packed up, and the move is happening the 25th November. About 250 kms away from Adelaide.
Good news is, that's where I grew up, and the family home is still owned by the old man, and rented out since Mum and Dad moved to Sydney last year. Cheaper rent than here..

5 bedroom house, seperate guest house, big pool/bbq area, 15 acres of land..

AND ABOUT 250 SQUARE METRES OF SHED!!!!!!!

I can't wait to have all that space in the shed and not be stumbling over fuel tanks and wheels all the time.

If anyone is interested in WWII history, it actually has what used to be an internment camp on it- Google "Loveday Internment Camp" especially the no. 9 camp and group headquarters- that's my 15 acre paddock pretty much. Interesting stuff.. especially as a 12 year old on a dirt bike being informed 'those aren't woop-de-doos, they're graves.' :o

Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC

QBS

Rikugun

Quote'those aren't woop-de-doos, they're graves.'

As Clint Eastwood said in A Fistfull of Dollars:
"the dead can be very usefull sometimes"
:) :o
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan