My Boy Blue

Started by munkyfistfight, February 17, 2011, 11:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

Finally, after waiting around for a few weeks to iron out the shipping details, "My Boy Blue" finally arrived at my apartment this morning. Formerly the AKvision. Took quite a bit of choking to get it started up, but this guy purrs really nicely. I can't wait to get it out on the road. I took it around the parking lot a couple of times and took a few pictures (more to follow). In my excitement I forgot that when they shipped it they drained most of the fuel out, and right as I was about to park it it died and before I knew what was going on, I ended up dropping it. No damage, but going to have to make a run to the gas station soon.

I couldn't be happier. Now the real work begins (stator wires, starter clutch, etc.) AK did a really great job with her.

This picture doesn't do it justice. The blue is much much nicer.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Rikugun

I kinda' wish you'd left out the part about dropping her - it was such a heart warming story up until that part..   I think AK just winced too!  :)  :)

Some of us have started with bikes not half that pretty so you're ahead of the game.  Congratulations and have fun!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

munkyfistfight

Yeah, sorry about that. No damage done. It was a soft landing :-P
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

lexx790

Looks like the same colour blue as mine, I choose for Ford Azure Blue, the sprayer gave me a print out of the mix, about 8 different shades/colours/particles all mixed in.

QBS

They don't start well from cold with less than a gallon of gas in the tank.  Add gas, (always from cold) let carb bowls fill from "Prime" petcock position for 2 minutes.  Use choke lever and push starter button.

munkyfistfight

Thanks! I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

akvision

Yess... good good..

I did a couple of STOP LAYDOWNS my self.. maybe a puppy that just wants to show you he loves you.

Just for fun,, I would unwind the idle screws 1/2 turn out.  And get those clutch screws corrected.  let us know how it comes out.

will follow the fun here.

Akvison
;D
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: munkyfistfight on February 17, 2011, 05:56:00 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. No damage done. It was a soft landing :-P

That must mean you dropped it onto your booted foot.   DAMHIKT    ::)
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

akvision

Nate,

How did the repair come out? Clutch/flywheel??  Did you get the battery figured out?

akvision
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

munkyfistfight

I haven't done the clutch/flywheel yet. The weather has been a bit obnoxious here. The temperature finally came up and I'll probably attempt it this weekend. I want to get it done before it needs to be inspected.
I really need to get the carbs looked at. I'm thinking that's a big part of my startup issue here. It sounds a big "boggy" once I get it up and running. Not much hesitation, but it's not as responsive and I have to keep it revved when I'm at a stop.
My godfather says he can help with that. Like you said, I'll back those screws out 1/2 a turn. Maybe that'll help.

I also noticed that if I stop it and shut it off after it warms up, it's almost impossible to get started again. I have to jump/roll start it to get it moving again. (strategically keeping my eye out for hills to park on top of) :-)

No worries gang. He just needs a stop in the shop and I'm sure everything will be right as rain.

akvision

I would back out those idle screws.. 1/2 turn and see what difference it makes..
I noticed that if I used the enrichener (choke) on full at start up at the warm engine time it would crank and start asap.

It sounds like the battery is toast too.. A weak battery is hard on the starter and overall electrical system.. dump it, as it will cause other electrical problems... look for a good AGM battery.. they are worth the extra paid.

keep us posted, Nate... jim

AKvision..
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

munkyfistfight

The battery is new. The one that was in there was shot. Still getting a bad reading on the VM, so I'm going to run some tests. I noticed that the connectors on the TCI are broken. Maybe getting bad connection there amongst other things. Anyone have any replacement connectors for the TCI wiring?
As for the carbs, are you talking about the pilot screws at the bottom of the carbs? I was reading Lucky's "Carb Instructions" and I'm going to try to balance them out that way. It sounds like you guys had them synced good. I think it's just the altitude change. I'm assuming Pittsburgh, PA is at a much lower elevation than Denver, CO :-) ;D :laugh:

Raj1988

Double check which wire is broken off the TCI. Most likey it is the rev limiter wire
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

fret not

Look up Lucky's testing procedure for the stator, regulator rectifier, and test them.  It is simple enough to check it out, and you may find the reason for a low Voltage reading. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

munkyfistfight

I backed those screws out 1/2 a turn yesterday and had to roll-start it to get it running (almost ran out of hillside :P). Once it warmed up it was idling really high, but I noticed a considerable difference in power coming up the hill and the VM read about 12.5 or so. Like I said, the weather hasn't been too cooperative for me to get it anywhere to work on it lately, but I think we're finally seeing the death of winter here in PA and rideable temperatures approacheth.

The R/R looks brand new, and I think it is, according to the paperwork I got in the mail (thanks Jim) and the stator has about 3k miles on it.

When I finally get around to my "Vision Day" in the garage, I'm going to post pictures and take video. I want this baby to be flawless, ultimately.

Hey, cool idea for you smart phone users: I put the entire .pdf shop manual on my Droid X in case of emergency.   ;D

jasonm.

Quote from: QBS on February 17, 2011, 09:29:03 PM
They don't start well from cold with less than a gallon of gas in the tank.  Add gas, (always from cold) let carb bowls fill from "Prime" petcock position for 2 minutes.  Use choke lever and push starter button.

Prime for 2 minutes???????  before  I had my electric fuel pump. I only needed prime for 10 seconds...maybe.  Infact the book I think makes a point that the fuel pump if good, should not allow fuel into the carbs unless the engine is running.  So prime just give it some help once the engine cranks.  Guess some have worn fuel pumps?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

munkyfistfight

I took The Blue out yesterday to my grandmother's house and garaged it so I can go over there this weekend and start the nitty-gritty.

A couple of things:

1. The battery was dead when I went to start it, but I jumped it off of my car and it started with literally zero hesitaton.
2. I pulld the TCI cover off and drenched it pretty good with WD-40, as well as the connectors. It looks like there had been moisture in there at some point (white corrosion?).
3. Small oil leak coming from the left side. Good thing I'm pulling that cover this weekend.
4. The VM read close to 13 while I was riding it at higher RPMs, but would drop slightly below 12 at stops and I had to keep it reved in order to keep it from stalling.
5. When I finally arrived at my destination, I let off the throttle and it stalled and couldn't be started again. The new battery was dead.

I'm going to pull the flywheel, visually inspect the stator, and go through the fault finding chart for the electrical system.

All things considered, it was pretty amazing to get it out on the road.

fret not

Well, the information is there and the testing is simple enough that I can do it ( did it).  The obvious things to check are the stator and the regulator rectifier, plus the connections, but also look for anywhere there might be a short or burnt wire.  Look over as much of the wiring harness as you can and inside the headlight bucket, handlebar switches, etc.  Hope you find an easy fix.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

munkyfistfight

"My Boy Blue" aka "AKvision" is in good hands.

Night Vision

Quote from: munkyfistfight on March 09, 2011, 11:15:09 AM

I'm going to pull the flywheel, visually inspect the stator, and go through the fault finding chart for the electrical system.

i case you didn't know....

you can do the diagnostics without pulling the left case, and you don't have to pull the flywheel to visually inspect the stator...it's attached to the left side case and fits inside the rotor (flywheel)

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano