Night Vision

I installed the oil cooler
ran synthetic oil
extra ground
clean all connectors
etc
etc

9k tops on a stator so far...

none of my new batteries have held a charge more than 12.6~12.7 volts... they do "charge" more than that, but don't hold above the 12.65

I think we need one of those bicycle generators that you would rub against the rear tire to run your headlight  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Batteries won't hold more than around 12.5 (+/- a bit) volts anyway.  Sounds like yours is fine.  Even the Optima AGM in my pickup only holds 12.6 volts.  The reason you want 14 + volts from your charging system is to recharge the battery while running accessories at the same time.

I like the generator idea - just in case . . ..   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 07, 2008, 07:08:39 PM
I like the generator idea - just in case . . ..   ;D

That would get me a little more to charge the battery when I have all the lights on...

Brian

motoracer8

I installed a oil temp sending unit in the oil drain plug hole just to see how hot the oil did get . On a hot day 95/98 degrees, freeway speeds 60 to 75 MPH oil temp about 220 deg. Same day, 9 miles stop and go traffic, oil temp got up to 240 deg. On a more normal day 70 to 80 deg. normal ride through the hills the oil temp may get to 210 deg. No need for a oil cooler in my opinion. I have a Ducati Multistrada, with a oil cooler, normal oil temp, 195 to 220 deg. in the traffic I have seen it go as high as 280 deg. The Ducati is air cooled. It has the same type of generating system, permament magnet flywheel, epoxy covered stator coils, that lives in a case with little exposure to engine oil. Ducatis are not known for generator failures. The regulator is mounted toward the front of the bike so it is in good air flow. My Visions regulator is mounted in it's standard position, no extra grounds, with a good quality battery that is kept charged when not ridden. I use Torco or Motul synthetic 10/40 in both machines year round.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

supervision

I'm trying to be at Hollister, on Sunday, You going?  Dave
" border="0

inanecathode

The final solution is extending the crank out further and running an external alternator.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on October 08, 2008, 11:27:08 PM
The final solution is extending the crank out further and running an external alternator.

I'm going to mount a solar trickle charger to the luggage rack that Kevin made me.  May put a flexible solar array on my windscreen.   I'm going "green".  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

would be nice to just have a big one and eliminate the charging system
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kwells on October 09, 2008, 12:07:12 PM
would be nice to just have a big one and eliminate the charging system

Hmmm...that could be the paint scheme that aelwolf is loking for...."solar panel blue".  Get some flexible solar panel material and cover all the tank, fender, side panels, etc and you're good to go.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Glyn

I've just read all the posts on this thread. What is the main conclusions / solution, just a good cond battery?

motoracer8

Dave, the answer is a big mabe?? If I make it to Hollister I will ride down. I've been working on a BSA B25 to ride MX on and it's not quite ready. Will you be on your Vision? If I make it I will be on a red Multistrada. Mabe I'll see you there.

Ken G.

Rick G

Glyn, its a shotgun approach, do everything and hope for the best

Either replace the multi plugs, with higher quality ones, that connect  the stator to the RR and the the RR to the loom , or cut out the plugs and solder the connections , insulating the joints with shrink tubing. ( my preference)

Move the RR to a cooler location , such as the rear foot peg mount .

Be sure to keep a good quality battery, that's still 100% serviceable .

Be sure all connections are clean and in good condition and add the extra ground wire.

Then go to church and pray.!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

I've done them all -- still to get just 1000 miles out of a stator.  This time, a new R/R and improved stator / R/R connectors were installed.  I also repaired the R/R - harness ground wire and put it back through the OEM type plug.  Eliminated the additional ground to battery as well.  Basically, back to stock.  I don't like to solder any of the wires because it then becomes a real PITA to do any of the fault finding tests.  I tried that the first time - with the original stator - as preventive maintenance.  My first stator fried within a month of that 'fix'.   >:(  I should have left it all alone!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

supervision

Ken, I'm driving a white, 4 door GMC pickup, with a red, XL125 Honda to tour around on. Maybe, I'll see ya.
" border="0

inanecathode

Alls i saying is, a few days of initial r&r and a few hours of machining and you'd have an external alternator, capable of running any and every farkle under the sun and last for the rest of the bikes life.

Just saying.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

motoracer8

H2O, I use a Deka AGM battery that gets a battery tender if it sets more than a couple of weeks. I have the same battery in a Norton that is now 7 years old. I replaced the orignal stator, and regulator in 1986 with OE Yamaha parts, The regulator is in it's place behind the battery, with the OE 3 gang plug, 30,000 miles and no issues with this set up. I do belive week, or dieing batteries can cause probblems. If I had all the generator failures you guys seem to have I would have sold my Vision years ago. After replacing 3 or 4 rewound stators in a short time, seems to me it would make sense to just step up and buy some new OE parts.

Ken G.

Rick G

Inane , I seem to remember see in a outside mounted alternator , for a off road bike (think Baja 1000) that need power for lights. I'll see if I can find the catalog I saw it in.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

motoracer8

Rick, I rode a Honda years ago in the Baja event, It did'nt have a generator mounted outside, but it had a much larger generator case than the production XR's, I can't tell you what was in there I was just a rider, it was something Honda Japan come up with. But it ran 3 high wattage lamps, you could shure see where you were going.

Ken G.

Walt_M.

Ken G, you and I may be alone in recognizing the improved OEM stator IS the final stator solution. If Rick G does indeed have one in his bike now, it will probably outlast the electrosport(electrix?) he is keeping as a spare.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Shop Rat

Quote from: Walt_M. on October 12, 2008, 01:27:47 PM
Ken G, you and I may be alone in recognizing the improved OEM stator IS the final stator solution. If Rick G does indeed have one in his bike now, it will probably outlast the electrosport(electrix?) he is keeping as a spare.

Was the improved OEM stator ever used in production XZs or is it strictly a replacement part? 

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F