News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Tires

Started by fdoepke, October 27, 2003, 08:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdoepke

I just revived a '83 Vision as my first motorcycle. The tires look pretty cracked. So I am looking for suggestions, which tires to get for this bike.

rick_nowak

there are many tire threads on this site.  just go back and do some reading.  in the stock sizes which most people here find most successful, the Avons seem to be the most popular.
Visions don't seem to like oversize tires.  these may be the most modern technology but this is essentially a 20 + year old design and the new tech stuff doesn't fit.
enjoy your day

Walt_M.

I've run a 120/90 rear and a 110/90 front for a long time and like the combination but you really have to be careful on the front width. I had a Dunlop that fit great but the IRC Durotour I have now had to be shaved a bit to clear the fender brace. Some say the 110 slows the handling too much but I don't think it does. The stockers handle pretty quick and I don't like to change lanes when I sneeze.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jason

I had a dunlop radial on the rear that I HATED. Gripped very well but when it let go, it did so dramatically.

My favorite tyres (in the sizes recommended above) were Metzler ME33 front (the softest compound I could get my hands on) Metzler Metronic ME55(I think) on the rear. Very grippy, but also with a prdictable progressive slide if you push it too far.

Walt_M.

I think our rims are too narrow for radials, it isn't surprising that you hated it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Humber

Metzelers are complete crap... I had used to have them on before I got a set of AVONs last year..... better by far...
nie ma podpis?w

Rick G

It depends on how much you want to spend , a set of Bridgestone Spit fires work well and wear well  nd are fairly reasonable. Avons  new tyres  seem to be really great  although , Avon says that the 120 rear is too big for our rim . I had a 120  on the rear for a while but diden't really care for it , I had a  110 Metzler M33 on the front  and it was only on for 1 week ! It handled like a steam roller and took way to much effort  to turn.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Plus I don't think you can get the ME33's in our sizes anymore.
I like the old standby bridgestone Battlaxes, in stock size they were $80 front & $85 rear. they grip well, give a good feel for the road, & wear well.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tryder

I 2nd Lucky's choice...I've heard the Battlax BT 45's wear quickly (I've only had mine on for about 2Kmi) but they fit great and the handling is awesome. Not a bad price either. I ordered mine from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse (MAWonline.com).

Bo

Hi
Is Lucky speaking about these ones?
$64.95 Bridgestone BT45H 110/90H18 Rear Tire #066222
$62.95 Bridgestone BT45H 90/90H18 Front Tire #066117
My question is may be stupid, I just compared the size with the specifications I found on this website...
If it change anything, i'm about to buy the 82's.
Bo

Rick G

The 90 90  size  did not handle well, In 83 they changed it to 100 90 . Use that size instead.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Bo

Hello
Another stupid question.
Can I change the tires by myself, just ordering them, or do we have to go to a garage because of the necessity of special tools (I know that my father has to go in a garage, but it's a far bigger motorcycle, and I know nothing about tires, except some chemistry, due to the location of my school, near the Michelin main factory).
Thank you
Bo

QBS

Most bike shops, both independent and mainline dealers, charge about half an hours worth of labor to change and balance tires when the new tire and the wheel (off the bike) is brought to them.  Sometimes an additional fee (depending on local evironmental regulations) is charged for disposing of the old tire.  For me personally, this is money well spent.  Changing bike tires is not somthing I want to mess with.  However, there are some here who do change their own.  They're obviously much more manly men than I am.  Cheers.

Lucky

oogh, arrgh, grunt, me manly man... lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Its really not that hard , when guys with 3 years experence teach you how. Tires on the little bikes of the sixtys were nothing to change , idid them literally with my bare hands. How ever in the late seventys tires came with much stiffer carcases and I resorted to an 18 inch tyre iron and two 9 inch Dowidats and lots of tyre lube.
Rick G

Paul_Jungnitsch

If you do it yourself you may want to spend a bit of time cleaning the rims where the bead seats and using a bit of sealer there. Removing the valve stem and clean/sealing where that seal is is also time well spent.

fdoepke

Thanks for all the advise - Just back from the dealership with 2 new BT45's mounted :)
Unfortunately they found out that my front brake needs to be rebuild :( Any tips on that beside what is in the workshop manual?

Rick G

What it needs is to be disassembled and cleaned out. You will have no problem the seals, IF they are clean. To dissassemble the caliper you will need compressed air. After  removing  the caliper and removing the pads, I put an air nozzle in the opening the banjo bolt that secures the brake line to the caliper , aim the back side of the caliper  into a box of rags and give it  a shot of 100 psi  air.
It will fire out link an ejection seat. from a jet!  Clean everything up, using clean brake fluid or  alchohal ( NEVER USE  A PETROLIUM SOLVENT)  Pick up a tube of "sliding grease" a silicone based grease intended for brake caliper repair. Apply the grease sparingly to the  O rings ( you will have to "dig" the o rings out BUT be very cautious , do not scratch the aluminum) Clean up the piston and apply a small amount of sliding grease to the piston (a very thin coat will do) and reassemble.  Next, you  should go through the master cylinder at the handle bar end too , before bleeding the system or air.
Rick G

jasonm.

Rick do you really use silcone grease? You know that silcones and DOT 3 or 4 don't get along well. Results in gewy stuff. I have just used non-chlor. brake clean. Then a little fresh DOT4 on the o-rings. Anyway , this is at least what the manual says to do.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Walt_M.

Don't know what Rick is doing but for brake assembly, all I use is DOT 3 or 4 fluid. Silicone grease might be ok for DOT 5 but I don't think we need that. I have used DOT 5 before, in my RD400 but I didn't find any everyday advantage.
Whale oil beef hooked!