News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Tires

Started by fdoepke, October 27, 2003, 08:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdoepke

The positive part of the weekend was that I was able to replace my leaking front fork seals.
BTW - instead of putting them into a vice to get the aircaps of, I just loosened the fork in the tree, pushed it up a bit so I had enough room for the wrench and retightened the tree. This way I could get the caps off easily. Only thing I don't know is how much air I need to put in as the Haynes manual only gives the oil level but not the air pressure for the '83 model :(
Now the brakes. I cleaned them with brake cleaner as fork oil ran into them. But I can't seem to get the piston out, although the brake seemed to work before I took it off the bike. Anybody tips of getting the piston out?

Rick G

Ok, I went out to the shed to  get the tube of grease. The old duffer I work for insists I use it , However, after reading the information on the back of the tube , it gives me one more reason to think he's half  a bubble off of plumb. It's a synthetic grease, with no silicon in it, it has molybdemum disulfide, graphite and teflon. and clearly states it is NOT to be used on internal parts. His tube is old and  the label is worn off , my tube is new , This stuff  is for use on caliper bolts and othe SLIDING surfaces.
My apoligies to all , I knew my boss was nuts , just not how nuts.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike