Air filter part?

Started by VK, April 22, 2010, 12:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

Attached to the right hand side of the front carb is a small contraption with a hose that routes back to top of carb.  Bottom half of the part is metal, top half is plastic.  I have an 82, but looking at an 83 parts catalog it appears to be a combination of part number 28V-14460-00-00 and 28V-14498-00-00.  I assume these parts are the same on both the 82 and 83 Visions.  I am cleaning my carbs.  Should these parts also be disassembled and cleaned in some fashion or is it best to leave them untouched?

VK

QBS

Not sure, but they probably interchange between '82 and '83.  They're a simple low volume air filter.  When I was recently going through my '83 carbs I left the unit untouched.

Re-Vision

Same here, had carbs cleaned and checked filter to make sure its not clogged.   BDC

motoracer8

There was a service bulliton, M83-003 that outlined the intake system modifidation for the 82 Visions, the 83's came with it installed.  It included the air cleaner top with the flaper valve, a new front carb top, air filter, jets, and some other small parts. Pn# 90891-10093-00.

I'm shure the kits are all long gone.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Porpoise_of_doom

Some time ago I bought a bulk lot (4 cartons) of Yamaha NOS bits on Ebay with the intention of selling them for profit, at least the parts I couldn't use.
I just came across a little bag with 3 parts in it, and when I punched one of the part numbers into Google, the ROV forum was at the top of the list. The parts in this little bag are as follows:

28v-14460-00
90891-10088
90891-10089

One is a small black steel round bracket with a screw, there's also an o-ring and a small grey air filter looking thing? Any ideas?
Currently 2x XZ550 1982
Honda XR250 x2
Honda XR500R and XL500R
Yamaha LB80, DT80 and YZ80
Kawasaki MT1
Past bikes:
83 XJ750 (my first real love, miss her dearly)
3x Honda XL175 (I want another!)
Honda XR500
Kawasaki G4TRC
Yamaha QT50 and Suzuki U70 as a kid

Re-Vision

That is the air filter and holder mentioned by VK previously in this thread, don't know where the O ring belongs.    BDC

gmac

Vacuum check valve with a small filter in it.

Lucky

the o-ring goes under the filter in the holder.  doesn't do much...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

Mine has the O-ring under the filter and I thought it was to keep it from vibrating in the steel holder?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

um.. sure sounds like a good reason  :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black