whats the take for a manifold intake

Started by patrick, June 19, 2002, 01:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick

hey anybody know who might make a manifold intake for a vision these days? yamaha no longer makes them or parts unlimited. Ive checked dennis kirk to no luck. :-/

Humber

Can't be true. They are available in Poland, but very expensive.

Now, if u have a leakage you can do what my friend did in his CX650.

Simply, he bought - I don't know the proper word - thermoshrinking insulation, which was slightly larger then intake manifold.

Then we cut out holes for fittings and heat the insulation.

It will cover every leak u have.

Or buy an used one!!!
nie ma podpis?w

patrick

Thanks for info- I heard something to that effect but with a rubber tubing and glue. This heat shrink material-is it in any hardware stor, home depot etc.?

Humber

We obtained it at electric warehouse. It was special heat shringk insulation for underground purposes, very solid one.

nie ma podpis?w

Jim Giordano

Give this some thought today while driving. I think liguid electic tape might work here.It comes in a can and i have used it on under water applications so it seals up pretty good plus you just brush it on .It also handles heat real good too.

Lucky

Sounds like an interesting solution, liquid electrical tape, but there are 2 things that i wonder about for that use:  the first is that gasoline is a solvent, so In wonder how well that would hold up chemicly, also, the intake is a high pressure enviroment, lots of constant "pulses" how elastic is this stuff and does it stay that way after a month, year, etc? just playing the devils advocate i guess.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Jim Giordano

It seems to remain flexable for a long time. As for the the gas well it might just take some trial and error. Will try some this weekend. and let you know. Also if you do go the heat shrink you might want the one with the glue inside of it there are two types i think the glue one would be better.

Rick G

Hi Guzzi John , needed carb mounts for his Suz. Titan (was it loose?)  He lives in MN  about a 2 hour ride from Dennis Kirk, so he took a sample carb rubber mount with him and found a duplicate in the SNOWMOBILE section ($18.00). If you want to try this call and ask for there technical assistance represenitive , you can send a sample to his attention and he will match it. I've used this proceedure with success, let us know what part number you end up with.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

I have seen the vision rubber intake manifolds in a Canadian aftermarket book recently.  I was planning on ordering a set this winter and upgrading.  Now, for some reason they may not be available but they were listed.  They are not really that expensive either, $70 Cdn. which is only about $45US plus our glorious 15% sales tax but for my American friends you can discount that as well to about 10%.  I declined a recent bid on ebay since they seemed to be a popular item but the bid was too high for antique rubber.

Let me know if you need some help here.  Anything we make here in Canada seems to be a lot cheaper than I see advertised in the US.  Of course we get most of our stuff from the US.  Too bad, right!

Lucky

i'm in the hospital right now with pnumonia , so i haven't been here since fri, and won't be out for a few more days

keep in mind, multiple cracks on the outside of the boots are normal, and almost never penitrate all the way thru.  test with carb sprayed thru the tube directly whilr the engine is idling. if the idle doesn't change, the intakes are good.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QQBS

Here's an idea regarding the bicycle inner tube concept.  Select an inner tube whose inside diameter is just slightly smaller that the outside diameter of the manifold.  Cut holes in it as needed to clear vacume ports.  Coat outside of manifold with GE Silicone seal (very heat and gasoline resistant).  Slip the inner tube section over the coated mainfold while the sealant is still wet.  Let set for 48 hours and then install carbs.  Cheers.

Bernard Lajoie

OK girls,K&L Supply is the source,P#11-6235,about$70.Go to a independent shop they will know about this supplier more than a dealer in most cases.This is a kit comes with (2) intakes,(2)gaskets(throw those away&use thin cote of silicone instead=no air leaks later on down the road)as always no thank yous will be nessary,cheersFTW P.S.maybe one of you  could send a kit to the gentelman in Poland he seems to be more on the ball than the rest of you.

johnkadner

i may not be a smart man, but i know what love is.  forrest gump

MotorPlow

I know this is an old post, but I just happened to be looking around the //www.bikebandit.com website and saw that they have the intake boots and gaskets listed for the Vision:

Yamaha Part Numbers:
11H-13556-00-00 Manifold Gasket $4.48
11H-13586-02-00 Joint, Carb 1 $47.98
11H-13596-02-00 Joint, Carb 2 $47.98

Now, having them in stock is another story...

~Chris

kiawrench

i replaced mine from plumbing supply store--
 they have sections of butyl rubber tubing, used as a pipe joint , solid, strong , can take heat , vibration and only run about 3 bucks each,  but so far only have about a month on them @750 miles,, will keep watch, and if they hold up- i can always go buy more and ship around
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Humber

hey... what's the matter with you guys... i am sure they are available on dennis kirk page... just look around for a brand new and u are off with them for next 20 years... they are in poland for 90 bucks a set....
nie ma podpis?w

jasonm.

Bernard...never use silicone in a gasoline environment. It will just disolve or lose grip. Use Yamabond4 if anything.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

jasonm.

Also Yamaha is still making 70 degree V engines. The Vmax and Venture. I bet the older Venture '83-'93 which used 34 and 35mm carbs has intakes that could work.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules