Hi guys, potential n00b here

Started by Infinitrium, June 13, 2007, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infinitrium

I hate that word, 'n00b' lol. Anyway, I am in the process of readying my laptop to be traded to a person for his 82 Vision. This'll be my first bike in like 7 or 8 years. I had an 82 Honda CM200T Twinstar as my first bike. Oh how I loved just cruising around back roads on that machine. I kinda had to keep to backroads anyway because it would not go more than 50 or so mph on flat ground with full throttle. I even used it as a sort of trail bike too which was great fun as well. I sold it for 150 bucks about 6 months after I bought it. I had busted the fuel filter fitting on my mother's 84 rwd Cutlass and I was gonna use the money to buy a second-hand carb (which I never did). I think I spent most of that money on beer and potato chips. Forward to 2 weeks ago, I bought a crappy old Honda Express moped. After crouching down on it, pulling the throttle cable open and putt-putting up the road with it I had the urge to ride a bike again. I started searching local buy&sell websites, seen a few nice bikes but found nothing that I was really interested in. I was looking on eBay a few days ago and came across the Vision. I took a chance and emailed the guy to see if he would trade the bike for my laptop, and he said yes! I was talking on the phone to the guy today and he said he wants the laptop for his daughter who's going to university in the fall or something. Barring any unforseen circumstances, he is going to be loading the bike into his truck and actually delivering it to me on Saturday! What a guy! Before I go too far, here's the eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ACA%3A1&viewitem=&item=120131351110&rd=1

The guy says the idle is a bit off and the registration is expired but other than that he says it's a nice old bike. What do you think?

kwells

First thing I'd do is clean out the tank, install an inline fuel filter, and thoroughly clean the carbs using Berryman's ChemDip or equivalent. Most likely needs a new battery as well since most dont seem to last beyond 3 seasons
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

don_vanecek

Wow, he re-ringed it??? I don't think I've even read a post where a follow ROV member has put new rings in an Vision engine.

It sure looks nice and a big welcome to you do get it. Don't be surprised however that you may have to mess with the cabs somewhat (or alot what) and keep in mind the chances are slim you will find a shop that will work on it. There are many posts talking about the things you should do to a V and the biggest problems they may have, we are here to help. Lets us know if you do get it.

bikehandle

First off, WELCOME!
Be ready to spend a little time on it and it will return the love!
I had a 185 twinstar back in the day, It was one of those Honda's that was truly bullet proof. ;D ;D
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the "Family"...It certainly is a nice looking "V" that you are getting for your lap top...Are you in N.B.?? I'm in the most loved province in Canada...Ontario ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Evan

Quote from: Tiger on June 13, 2007, 05:12:54 PM
I'm in the most loved province in Canada...Ontario ;)

Do I detect some sarcasm, or is that based on a survey of CBC employee's? :o

Tanno

Quote from: Infinitrium on June 13, 2007, 04:47:28 PM
I hate that word, 'n00b' lol. Everyone was one once.

Anyway, I am in the process of readying my laptop to be traded to a person for his 82 Vision. I hope it's not a $3,000 laptop!

Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Tiger

Quote from: Evan on June 13, 2007, 05:54:36 PM
Quote from: Tiger on June 13, 2007, 05:12:54 PM
I'm in the most loved province in Canada...Ontario ;)

Do I detect some sarcasm, or is that based on a survey of CBC employee's? :o

;D Sarcasm... :-X In the eleven years that I have lived in Canada I've been to seven province's...not many people have anything good to say about Ontario and most HATE Toronto...even tho' they have never been... ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Heh heh heh....   Sounds like me.  I traded a AMD K6 II 466 with 128mb and a 10 gig HDD and a DSTN screen for my Vision.
Now, the laptop worked great and it still works great but the V hadn't run in about 12 years before I got ahold of it.  I think I came out pretty good.  It had only 5800 miles on it and was a bucket of rust.  Just look at it now.

As far as idling rough, it could be a few simple things.  Rule #1 of Vision ownership is Clean them carbs.  Just don't spray them, they need to be "dipped" to get an effective clean.
The rough idle could also be a result of dirty or old plugs, or most likely a leaky "YICS" chamber (the triangular chromed chamber on the right side of the bike -while sitting on the bike)  My bike was running a little rough lately and it turned out to be a very slight leak in the YICS, just enough to make it run rough.
Welcome to the family.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

the best thing i can do is say hi, welcome, hope you decide to stay with us, ,the Canadian side of the forum is really growing!!

as for the bike, from what i can see, it doesn't look too bad.
dip the carbs, or make a deal with someone on the forum to get it done-
check the yics box for leaks, and if need be, fix it ,it isnt hard to do
contact lucky and get a cd rom with the service manuals, then read as much as you can here on the forum,and in archives.

take your time getting to know the bike BEFORE you hit any major roads, visions are a bit on the top heavy side, and will go over in a split second if you aren't careful!

be sure to connect with as many of our Can ROV guys, as there is almost always something of a ride in the works .

most of all, weigh the importance of a laptop against the importance of a bike. then decide. (you can always get another laptop, we even have guys here that can help in that area .lol)
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

well if you asked me, I wouldn't trade my Vision for a lapdance
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Evan

Quote from: Tiger on June 13, 2007, 08:14:17 PM
:-X In the eleven years that I have lived in Canada I've been to seven province's...not many people have anything good to say about Ontario and most HATE Toronto...even tho' they have never been... ::)

Spent a bit of time working for THEC, been up to the CN tower (hopped on the Plexiglas -- freaky), etc.  Toronto is no worse than any other large city.  So, I speak with a little perspective.

My favorite Canadian hero is Mr. Canoehead....