News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

My other love.

Started by Tiffanator, October 01, 2007, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffanator

Ok, I have to admit to all of you... I have fallen in love some... thing. I mean, I still love my Vision... but alas, at this point in time it just can't give me the joys that I'm looking for. In my quest to find this happiness I searched the internet, local papers and every web site I could find... until I found what could give me that joy... at least til the Vision is fixed... So without further ado... I give you...

Z1000!

Isn't she a beaut!  I know... I know... I'm a chick... a new rider... its a 1000... blah... blah... blah.  I didn't buy this bike because it can go 145mph... I didn't buy the bike cause it could wheelie in 2nd gear, stoppie, burn down a tire... whatever. I bought this bike because I thought it was GORGEOUS. And it isn't just any Z1000... it has 636 front forks and calipers, 636 rear shock, undertail, integrated rear turn signal, power commander, 4-2-1 stainless muzzy exhaust, throttlemeister... and... some other stuff I forgot, but also all of the stock parts came with it, so I can put the bike back to bone stock if I want. Its wired and set up for track riding... which I hope to do soon.
I had looked at the CBR, GSX-R, R6, ZX6-R and those were just so... common. All the college guys here have GSX-Rs and CBRs, they are common as grass, so I wanted something different.. that still had the heart of a sportbike and a little of the flair... but not the brown dog commonness (is that a word? It should be). I did go round and round with the whole... its a 1000, I'm a new rider, will I kill myself on this thing... argument and almost didn't buy it. In the end I decided that it doesn't matter if the bike is a 600 or 1000, the speed is in the wrist. I was expecting the bike to be WAY more peppy than it actually was, which was a good thing cause I took it really easy.
Anyway, so sorry to ramble on and on. I have fallen in love with motorcycles, much to the dismay of my mother.
Anyone else have any guilty pleasures?
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiger

:) Geeee, and all this time I thought I was the love of yer life :'( :'( Ah well, such is life ;D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

That is a niiiiice set of wheel's girl, nice find... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kiawrench

uh  ,,, yup,, i do,,, my name is kia ,, and i am a twinkie - holic .

i likes em plain, ,but you can make twinkie salad, twinkie sandwich,deep fried twinkies, twinkie sling shots, frozen twinkie on a stick, twinkie creole(dats a twinkie with a bit of file' on it), twinkie pie, twinkie cupcakes, twinkie milkshakes, (use a big straw ) twinkie berry crepes with chocalte sauce,, you can do anything with twinkies, except trade them for that sweet looking bike tiff has went a bought with her twinkie money..............

i guess i am going to have to say you done good ,yup, you done good. (just dont tell the vision, esp if they are in same room )_
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

OMG! I'm in love too.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

don_vanecek

Wow, nice. I've always wondered, are these go like hell bikes actually practical for day in, day out riding?  You will have to post a report in a year or so as to how practical these are.  Neat bike!

haunter

nice, I love ZL1000's

I started riding my 1k after only a few months, and you are right, its all in your wrist and your brain!
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Tiffanator

Tiger.... of course you are the love of my life... thats just my motorcycle love. You should understand.. you do have.. uh... what like 5 bikes in the garage?  ;)
Kia... its ok, I'm a twinkie-holic too. We can binge on twinkies together. Twinkie slingshot? Never heard of that one. The others sound good though. Chocolate covered twinkie with fresh strawberries and caramel sauce. Yes.
Dave... she's purty ain't she?
Don... I've had the bike about a month and a half now, put just over 1000 miles on her. Before this bike I had a Ninja 500 and put just over 2000 miles on it.  From my experience riding and reading... comfort wise, its all in the person. I have read of people riding 400-500 mile days on the "head down, butt up" style bikes and never having a problem. For me personally, I covered 100 miles in a day and my shoulders and neck were a bit sore. The seat on this particular bike is hard and pushes you forward into the tank, getting a Corbin can solve that. This bike has higher handlebars than the supersport style bikes, so the riding position isn't as aggressive. Will the bike ever be as comfortable as a Gold Wing? HECK NO. It will never be as comforable as any upright seating style bike.
Higher speeds are better, the wind hitting my chest takes a lot of the pressure off my hands and legs. Slow speeds can get a bit painful because I tend to slouch and carry most of my upper body weight on my hands and wrists. If I think about it I will sit up more and shift that weight onto my legs, making it much better. All in all, I use this bike mostly for daily driving to and from work to save on diesel costs in the rig. As comfortable as my air conditioned truck? No. More fun? You bet it is. Living in a college town I see A LOT of young guys on bikes with backpacks, mostly supersports. It works for them.
Haunter... it is absolutely in the wrist. Many of my friends said I was crazy for getting a 1000. One even said he knew of a friend selling a GSX-R 1000 but didn't tell me cause he didn't want to be the one to get me killed. I think 1000cc supersports and greatly misunderstood and misjudged. Majority of people only see the idiots that go buy one and do 150mph wheelies down the interstate in 5:00 traffic. I'm not that type of person, apparently my friends don't think so.
Oh, and the Vision and the Z park nose to nose in the garage, they are friends. I work on them both in my spare time.
Thanks for the kind words all.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

YellowJacket!

Yes, the bike is too....  ;D

David

h2olawyer

That is one sweet ride.  Glad you have the correct attitude for riding it!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ColinthePilot

I'm in the same camp...I love my V. I learned to fix bikes on my buddy's virago and my Vision. But, in the future I would like to get a more modern sport bike. I liek working on machines, but I don't like HAVING to work on a machine without having a spare to use. I haven't ridden in over a month cuz I haven't had time to get the carbs and starter troubleshot.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Aelwulf

Nice lookin' bike, definitely different. :) I've got my eyes on a Kawi as well, but not a sport bike.  So the Vision shouldn't get completely jealous. ;)

I've talked to a guy who has one and simply loves it.  It's also been hard to find anything negative on serious forums about it.  Only negative worth noting was more concerning a dealership than the bike or Kawasaki.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

ironb12s

You've graduated.  From Restorer, to Collector.   ;)

It happens.  You get a motorcycle, it needs work, but what you've really fallen in love with is...the Ride.  If the Vision had been ridable, might you have looked for anything else?  Not likely, but because you can't ride, and want to, the need was created.  The RIDE is what made you look for something else.

I started by getting my GS750, a 1979 E Model, last year of the roller crank.  She's my first love.  As evidenced that the GS was still my main ride until I had the header stud break off during removal of the Kerkers that came with.  That happened after I took the Vision off the road for exhaust replacement.

The Vision was something different, sporty where the GS was a classic.  And the price was right.  Tempermental, but she responds to attention.  Exhaust woes started here.  Front header fell off, flange rusted away.  Bike sat out for I don't know how long before I found her, but that time took its toll.  Sound familiar?  While waiting to install the new MAC system, decided a new finish was in order, so removed the colored bits and prepped for paint.  Sitting out did nothing for the finish, on the tank and fairing.

Now with both rides in the "shop", I went looking, for something different again.  And found the Intruder, a 1997 VS1400, first year the 5-spd tranny was offered.  So, I was still riding with 2 bikes off the road.  Got my Iron Butt wings with the Intruder, 4 times.  Rode her everywhere, until I hit a deer on the way to Ruidoso, NM in Sept 2000.  Totaled the bike, dispatching the deer, and I got 4 stitches for my trouble.  ATGATT.

The RIDE is the thing.  That's how I got into the Bandits next.  And it's what I Ride now.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Aelwulf on October 03, 2007, 02:41:36 AM
Nice lookin' bike, definitely different. :) I've got my eyes on a Kawi as well, but not a sport bike.  So the Vision shouldn't get completely jealous. ;)

I've talked to a guy who has one and simply loves it.  It's also been hard to find anything negative on serious forums about it.  Only negative worth noting was more concerning a dealership than the bike or Kawasaki.

heh heh heh

You and I are in the same boat.  I'm getting a Meanie for myself as a graduation gift when I finis PA school in a few years.
Just a littile incentive I guess.....

David

Aelwulf

Nice. :) I was supposed to have mine this past spring but the move nixed it.  I might still be able to by next spring but it depends on a lot until things settle down some. :P NExt I just have to hope this one's still available then, and I'll probably end up flying to Colorado to pick it up so I don't have to worry about California emissions on it and I can get it registered in Florida when I buy it (Cali apparently has a jacked up method to register it out of state when you buy here).  By the time I get it here it'd be ready for it's initial checkout. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

ironb12s

Oh, my, I forgot to mention that she sure is purdy.  I can see the obvious attraction.   ;D
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."