help locating the furl filter 1983

Started by anonwhocares, July 18, 2008, 10:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anonwhocares

hey guys, I recently purchased a non working vision. I have cleaned it up and gotten spark, now I see that I am getting no fuel into my cylinders (spark plug is dry) before i go ripping apart the carbs I want to check the fuel filter to make shure its not plugged. I coujldent locate it ( i didnt really know what I was looking for) so if anybody could tell me where abouts it is located and what its shape is I would be thanfull, pluss does anyone else have anyother ideas as to why I am not getting fuel in my cylinders (bike sat for about 5 years)

Rick G

The fuel filter is located in the gas tank and is held in place by the petcock.

First you need to be certain that gas is coming out of the petcock.  Put it on PRI  (prime) the lever will be straight across.
Gas should come out of the fuel line to the carbs. If so the problem will be in the carbs , if not the petcock will need your attention, first.
Vision carbs will plug up , especially after 5 years. You should install an in line fuel filter , to supplement the one in the Vision's petcock. If you want, I'll rebuild them for you . Pm me and I'll send you a document explaining the procedure.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

A Fuel filter being totally clogged. Is next to impopssible. Likely more that your float needles are stuck closed. Had it happen to me once on another bike. And of course try putting it on prime.  But if they are stuck closed. They are also liely not to seal when freed up. And will end up flooding the engine or just dumping fuel on the ground @the overflow hose/pipe.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules