News:

Main Menu

Barbers Vintage Days

Started by artbone, October 12, 2011, 04:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

Just got home from Barbers Vintage Days and it was great! A lot of neat bikes and many old friends. One thing I didn't see was any XZs at all.

Is there any interest in having a get-together there next year? I would be glad to help organize it. The Norton club moved the Turn 6 event that used to be at Daytona every year to Barbers this year and it was a great success. They rented a space in the Fan Zone for $400 but they got 10 weekend tickets that they sold for $40 each and got the money back. They picked up 23 new members and a great time was had by all. If anyone is interested, let me know.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

Such like could be a worthy pilgrimage.   Gives plenty of time to plan the ride, and better if you have another rider or two to go along. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

artbone

Come on guys! Some of you east of the Mississippi guys must want to make this event. I've got 3 guys from here who are thinking about doing it and it's a 1600 mile ride, one way, for us.  :)
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

QBS

An initial yes.  Probably not on the V.  The Barber is beyond awesome.

NewVisionGuy

I would love to go.  If I can't get a V up and running nice by then, I'll fly home to VA and ride my V-star from there if I can get Leave.

artbone

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/2011/10/barber-motorsports-festival-2011.html

Someone sent me this today. It's kind of Ducati centric but for you folks that have never been to Barbers, this should whet your appetite. If you look through the pictures you'll see the Velocette Endurance that he used as a pit bike. Sunday I was walking through the pits and saw that bike. I've just bought one like it (but in boxes) and, when I told the owner he said, "You can ride that one if you like, to see what it's like."
He had to help me crank it but it was really a fun bike to ride. I'm looking forward to getting mine together.

Next year I plan to ride to Barbers on one of my Visions. I hope it will be the IOM bike which I have restored but, if not, I'll ride the 83. If no one is interested in the Fan Zone idea I might rent a motorhome and park it inside with a Vision banner. We'll see how it comes together.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

VisionMeister

I could be interested in this.
Barber's is on my list of things to see.
It all depends on time and money, but with a years notice, it could happen.
Since there are a lot of posts on the 30 year anniversary idea, I think you could generate some interest with that theme.
I rode from California to Colorado for the 25 year get together and found it to be a fun and worthwhile experience. I did 3000 miles in 10 days for that occassion.

I also think the Vision deserves the recognition of being one of the first vee configuration motors with four valves per cylinder, downdraft intakes, radically oversquare cylinders and narrow angle vee with counterbalancer. A common theme nowadays.

I'd say let's do it.

QBS

Two years ago my wife and I spent an entire day, open to closing at The Barber.  Sensory overload occurred at hour 3.  The place is absolutely world class and beyond awesome. 

Re-Vision

Barber sounds interesting, Does Birmingham area have anything to entertain non-interested wives?     BDC

h2olawyer

I like the idea of a mass Vision showing @ Barber.  Been to lots of race tracks over the last few years, but never in the south.  Lots of long, straight roads between here & there - could make great time, but it might get a little monotonous.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

artbone

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 15, 2011, 02:46:46 AM
I like the idea of a mass Vision showing @ Barber.  Been to lots of race tracks over the last few years, but never in the south.  Lots of long, straight roads between here & there - could make great time, but it might get a little monotonous.

H2O

Just try to average 90 MPH and it'll be more exciting.
Just kidding but, depending on where you're coming from, there's some very pretty country in southern MO and Ark. After the Mississippi there's not much in the way of twisties.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

h2olawyer

My journey would start about 60 miles north of Denver.  Crossing Kansas is miles & miles of not much more than miles of miles and sunflowers & wheat.  Some interesting places to stop and be touristy, though.  Was through OK a few years ago.  Approaching the northeast corner of the state was really pretty.  Had to pick up some rare tractor parts in West Siloam Springs.  Sort of the beginnings of the Ozarks, I think.

Would need to get the helmet bluetooth communications setup so I could have some good tunes & maybe satellite radio for some of that ride.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

During late September '12, my wife and I will be on the home bound leg of a very long term tour of New England and adjacent eastern Canada.  We will include the Barber V gathering on the tail end of the journey and plan on camping with our Time Out travel trailer at the Barber campgrounds, hopefully a week before the vintage race event.

If there is a consensus, we would be happy to serve as the base for the V gathering.  Need input from Artbone regarding camping facility's, choice places to shoot for reserving, recommended reservation lead time and other miscellaneous stuff that I haven't thought about yet.  Would be really great if all the V attendees that will be camping could camp together and form a V Compound.  This will certainly require significant and early coordination and related reservation placement.  All interested speak up and let me know what your plans are.  We've got a year to put this together, but placing reservations as early as possible is critical for a well coordinated V gathering.  Cheers to all.

Lucky

Camping? like in one of those tent things? have fun with that.  i'll find a Super 8 nearby :D
I'm (we) are in.  later in the season would be great.. Sept/Oct?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Re-Vision

QBS

Informative site.  Thank you very much for the data.

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on October 15, 2011, 03:09:45 PM
During late September '12, my wife and I will be on the home bound leg of a very long term tour of New England and adjacent eastern Canada. 

:) Let me know were and when...maybe we can meet up 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Thanks Tiger.  Will keep you posted as our plans get more defined.

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on October 15, 2011, 04:58:18 PM
Camping? like in one of those tent things? have fun with that.  i'll find a Super 8 nearby :D
I'm (we) are in.  later in the season would be great.. Sept/Oct?

IF I go, I'll be doing a combination of camping and motels along the way.  For the actual meet, I agree with Lucky - Super 8 or Motel 6 would be more comfortable than a tent & sleeping bag - even though I do have a very comfy bag.

H2O

VisionMeister

I see that Barber has posted their 2012 calendar and this event is scheduled October 11-14.
Is anyone interested in taking up Artbone on this??