MAC exhaust ON - with pics

Started by Raj1988, August 23, 2012, 07:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj1988

So for those of your that have been around for a while, you may be aware that I steadfastly refused to get rid of my stock exhausts. Well, after my trip across the continent 2 yrs ago, I found a noticeable leak on my already patched right muffler.....I jb welded the best I could and took care of more important things...

Well about a year ago a Yellow Jacket was kind enough to offer up his old mac's and I couldn't say no. They were in fairly nice shape but you know, if it can be better... why not... so I spent a Sunday afternoon painting them a nice flat black.

Today, the stars aligned and our friendly neighbourhood do-gooder visionary invited me over to give me a hand with fitting the MAC's on.

after about 2-3 hours of work and chatter... here are the results!

-They are F@#$ing loud and will take some getting used to.
-My revs dropped by a few 100 whilst cruising at 90kmph
-The front pipe gets in the way of the rear brake which I discovered in an almost '$hit your pants' moment.

All in all, they seem like fun... Earplugs are a must!

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Hartless

Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Drikk14

I would love to find some Macs for mine. They look nice.
1983 Vision, Work in Progress

vadasz1

Ear plugs for sure.  I use them when I ride for more than 15 minutes as after that I have a ringing in my ears.

The bark and growl are really fantastic.  I have noticed many heads turn around wondering what is coming up behind them.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

MACs are great!  The stock system sounds like a ,wait for it!  Hoover with head cold.  I keep the loud handle turned down in town, but once out on the road, I love the rumble of the MACs .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Jimustanguitar

I don't understand how your RPM's cold be any different at 90kmph because the gear ratio is fixed. Does it just sound lower and your mind is filling in the blank?

I know that rejetting isn't crucial with Macs, but I'd be curious if your sync or idle mixture could stand to be adjusted to gain you even more benefit.

Good luck, I'm jealous!

vadasz1

I just noticed the over kill of a baffle securing screw you have there.  I recall only the outer flange being screwed and not the inner one as well.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Raj1988

Quote from: vadasz1 on August 23, 2012, 10:29:20 PM
I just noticed the over kill of a baffle securing screw you have there.  I recall only the outer flange being screwed and not the inner one as well.

That was Tiger!

Raj1988

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on August 23, 2012, 10:13:24 PM
I don't understand how your RPM's cold be any different at 90kmph because the gear ratio is fixed. Does it just sound lower and your mind is filling in the blank?

I know that rejetting isn't crucial with Macs, but I'd be curious if your sync or idle mixture could stand to be adjusted to gain you even more benefit.

Good luck, I'm jealous!

i'll check the plugs and let you know.. hopefully canadian lou can take a peek at it! You are right, not sure why the revs are lower... maybe it was just me feeling like it put out more power at a lower rpm! I can tell you for a fact that it takes a bit to spin all the way up top 10.5

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on August 23, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
Quote from: vadasz1 on August 23, 2012, 10:29:20 PM

That was Tiger!

Over kill, maybe...you lost your baffle not to long ago, if my memory serves me well vadasz1...would that be from under kill!!! :o ;D :D :D :D :D

The hole in the baffle has been greatly enlarged and would need a very large sheet metal screw to hold it, which I didn't have. Drilling the inner flange and using a #10 sheet metal screw did the trick ;) However, you can always change it Raj1988...

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on August 23, 2012, 07:34:54 PM
here are the results!

-The front pipe gets in the way of the rear brake which I discovered in an almost '$hit your pants' moment.

Hmmmmm, The front header pipe sits tight under the motor. I'm kinda confused as to why you didn't mention this when I asked you to take your Vision for a test ride before leaving my place.

It is something I have not had happen before...and I have fitted several MAC systems in the past!!!
                     8) ....... TIGER ...... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Quote from: Tiger on August 24, 2012, 07:43:42 AM
Quote from: Raj1988 on August 23, 2012, 07:34:54 PM
here are the results!

Hmmmmm, The front header pipe sits tight under the motor. I'm kinda confused as to why you didn't mention this when I asked you to take your Vision for a test ride before leaving my place.

It is something I have not had happen before...and I have fitted several MAC systems in the past!!!
                     8) ....... TIGER ...... 8)

For whatever reason, I didn't really step on the rear pedal till I was a good 45 min away from your home. I should mention that I have 90% of the travel in the lever unrestricted. It is the last 10 % That is hindered. Not to worry John... no way you could have caught that whilst you were testing in the garage.

I figure I need to go thru loosen and re-torque anyway .

Much appreciated...

PS nothing wrong with overkill! especially when we are talking $60 a baffle!

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

When I first put MAC's on my XZ , it felt like it had better mid range and was slightly flatter on top.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kenny

Hi Raj1988,
      That Top Box looks Huge, What's in their the Crown Jewels?  I have a set of Macs on my Yellow 83, They are make a bit to much noise for me! ;D ;)
Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Raj1988

Quote from: Kenny on August 24, 2012, 09:07:44 PM
  Hi Raj1988,
      That Top Box looks Huge, What's in their the Crown Jewels?  I have a set of Macs on my Yellow 83, They are make a bit to much noise for me! ;D ;)
Cheers Ken S.

Hey Ken, the top box was stolen off a buddies gs400 and is the epitome of function over form!!! Someday I will get around to putting a pelican case on there. I like the mac's but i really don't like how loud they are.. Gets bloody annoying on the highway after the first hour. This is an issue that I need to take care of soon since I do actually use the Vision as my touring bike.

Are you going to come down for the fall ride???

Rick G

Raj, talk to Canadian lou, he has a recipe for quieting MAC's  Although I can't imagine why anyone would want to!  LOL ;D
Rick G

Rikugun

Be sure to post any good quieting ideas as others may share you interest in saving their hearing!  :) I have a top box very similar to that and they seem big until you go anywhere and need the room then you wish you opted for the double capacity one!  :-[

Regarding the brake pedal interference - maybe yours is lower (or bent?) than others Tiger has done installations on? Also, is the brake adjusted to have only minimum safe freeplay before engaging the brakes? Too much and the pedal requires more travel.

I haven't tried MACs as of yet but two things have always struck me about the comments from owners - how free-flowing/loud they are and that no jetting is required. The two concepts seem mutually exclusive. Then there's Ricks comment about seemingly losing some punch up top. I wonder if at least increasing the mains a bit wouldn't help? Especially if a K&N is installed in the airbox. Rejetting may not be needed but possibly beneficial? Regardless, I'd readjust the sync and mixture screws at the very least.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

To me the burble of the MAC's at speed is just like music !!  Again , I keep rpm down in town , our speed limits are low any way . We have 1 stretch of 66 that is 40 mph, but other than that  its 35 on a few main streets and 25 mph everywhere else, so there's little chance of annoying anyone , especially with the hundreds of HD's around here.On the open road , the jack rabbits and coyotes  don't care.
Rick G

Raj1988

Starter quit over the weekend and i spent saturday afternoon fixing it with new brushes , bench tested and threw it back in, worked for 10 min and quit again... Pulled it out only to find that i had lost the tiny pin that kept the outer sprocket in place...chopped up an old watch screwdriver and tossed it back in with a new outer ring and it would not go back in.. tried for a good hour to push it into the motor to no avail. This was because the new rubber outer seal between the case and the starter was too thich

So i just put the old worn rubber ring back in. Quick ride and Whaddaya know its leaking!!!! Any tips on  how to push the starter back into place?

bloody frustrating work since the front headers on the mac need to be pulled to get the starter out!