First Start with New Copper Head Gasket Voodoo

Started by Jimustanguitar, September 06, 2012, 04:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

I'm in the middle of the head-gasket swap and mentioned to a friend that I bought copper gaskets. He said that certain manufacturers (gasket companies I think, not Yamaha) advise you to start the engine the first time without any antifreeze in the motor so that it can reach operating temperature and "set" the gasket without being cooled by pumping water through it.

I've not heard this before, and I'm certain that it's not advised in a manual anywhere. If you don't exceed normal operating temperature though, I don't see what it would hurt. "There's a fine line between genius and stupid" (Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap).

Has anybody else heard of this? I'm not going to do it, the motor was designed assuming that there's supposed to be water in there :) But it sounded plausible so I thought it might be interesting to mention.

My dad always said that he'd heat up his Harleys' head gaskets in the oven and then torque them down before they cooled. I don't think he was achieving anything more than annealing a copper gasket like normal, but it does make for a cool story.

Rick G

200 cc Triumph cubs had copper head gaskets. If we did not have  a new one in stock, we would hang it on a wire and  run a carburizing flame from a oxy/acetylene torch around it, until the purple colour was created all the way around . let it cool and reuse it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

For what it's worth, my buddy has rebuilt numerous car engines and the initial start is always sans coolant and water. It has nothing to do with gaskets but he's had no problems as a result of his method.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

That's not doing anything different than an air cooled bike, but ours don't have cooling fins & the temp gauge wont register if it's not submerged In fluid... So your guessing when its hot enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Jimustanguitar

I've got a temp gun that I can point at the head. I'd assume that it's the most reliable place to take a measurement since the cylinder sleeve has an air gap between it and the outside of the jug.

On second thought, maybe I will try it...

rm97

What kind of affects will running the water pump dry have on the pump seal?

Rick G

Probably not good. I would not run it dry for more than  a few seconds .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Jimustanguitar