News:

Main Menu

clutch stuck engaged

Started by auditt241, October 18, 2011, 12:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auditt241

So I came back from school for a break and wanted to take my Vision out after a few months.  It starts fine, but i found that the clutch lever won't move at all.  When the bike is idling in neutral, i can shift it to any gear and it will stay running, but won't move at all.  The rear tire will spin in all gears, but it seems like there is more resistance in everything but neutral.  Therefore, I figured that the bike must be stuck with the clutch engaged.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?
1982 XZ 550, 4100 miles, totally stock (I did add a fuel filter though...)

Cdnlouie

Check under the engine to see if the actuator rod is stuck in the pulled on (forward toward the cable) position.  Or if the cable is binding and holding it in a partially dis-engaged position.  Running the bike to warm the oil may help release it.  Putting it in gear and rocking the bike (back & forth, not running) may also help to engage the clutch plates again.  Tapping the right clutch case with a plastic hammer (and rocking the bike) may also let the hub springs close up the plates again.  Otherwise, if you don't have a cable binding (disconnect the cable and see what happens, making sure there is play on the actuator rod below the left side cover).  That way you can tell if the clutch hub is hung up (stuck) and you may have to take the right side cover off to check it out.

Lucky

I have had to rock a few Visions to get the clutch unstuck, sometimes with a rolling start & dumping the clutch (bike off)  2 were very violent, but they finally snapped free...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

auditt, I find your explanation of the symptoms to be very confusing.  Can you explain them again?  The clutch lever won't move at all?  So you're saying that if you persisted in trying to move the clutch lever it would break?

Rikugun

I found it a bit odd too. Partly 'cause I couldn't get past the notion of the clutch being frozen in the disengaged mode (unless I misinterpreted) rather than the other way 'round as I'd expect from one that has sat for some time.

QuoteWhen the bike is idling in neutral, i can shift it to any gear and it will stay running, but won't move at all
Is this with the bike sitting on the ground, not the centerstand?

QuoteThe rear tire will spin in all gears, but it seems like there is more resistance in everything but neutral.
Is this engine running, or manually spinning the rear tire while on the centerstand? How is the resistance being gaged?

QuoteTherefore, I figured that the bike must be stuck with the clutch engaged
From the narrative, the opposite appears to be described???
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

auditt241

Thanks for the responses! Turns out the cable was frozen up. It was stuck as if I was constantly holding the clutch. I used some oil and it was fine.
1982 XZ 550, 4100 miles, totally stock (I did add a fuel filter though...)

Cdnlouie

There you go the simple truth! Glad it worked out for ya!  Don't let it happen again  ::)!