News:

Main Menu

Electrical Help

Started by Junior, September 12, 2006, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

V is fine. 83 CB550SC has shot turn signal relay. Local dealer replacement price $49.95 (For a 3 prong relay?????) Since most V riders have become electrical  pros in order to ride, anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid fifty bucks for relay? Tks

QBS

Take your old relay to the best auto parts house in your area and ask for a generic replacement.  Many of the relays on the V and other MCs can be had after market.  The better supply houses often have large catalogs with pictures of hundreds of auto electrical relays, switches, and related componets.  Just find a picture of a relay that looks like yours.  Shouldn't cost much more than $5.00.

Lucky

pop the cover off & see what's inside, if it's 3 prong it's probably a simple flasher unit like what is used in a car.  to actually be a relay it has to have at least 4 prongs
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mutt

Relays can be two prong. It simply houses a capacitive circuit that when charged enough, interupts the circuit. The one thing that might make this unit unique is the fact that it is tied in to the flasher/cancelling unit. From the diagram it looks like a 3 wire connection. One wire Brown/White to the switch pod, one wire Yellow/Green to the cancelling unit and one connection to the 10A main bus line.

Send me any data off the relay and I'll cross reference it for you. If NAPA doesn't carry it I might be able to cross reference it in a McMaster Carr catalog.

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Junior

Thanks for advice. Found one at auto parts store for $8.95. Works great.

Mutt

CONGRATS! I think you saved a couple of bucks. Now use what you would have spent and put it back in to your V!  :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Junior

Mutt, I am not touching that V. Everything works. It is plain scary.