Suspension report

Started by treedragon, November 07, 2009, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

I have an update for you. Some will recall I put a new YSS rear shock in the bike to great effect, well now I have finally got around to fitting a pair of YSS PD fork valves.

Not very difficult to do, the biggest part was drilling a few extra holes in the damping rods. I also threw a set of seals at them while I was about it. An adjustable spring preload on the valve unit controls the compression damping and the oil viscosity controls the rebound.

Rode down my street and it was "Hey when did they fix the road!!!"
I have been more than happy with my front suspension and steering geometry so I wasn't expecting much of a difference - however noticeable it is! Around town it is as if the front end isn't there in a way, very nice. Open road and going for it - excellent! I particularly targeted known problem zones over a local hill and I couldn't upset the front at all so that's it, I consider the suspension sorted, on to the next job.

I'm running 210cc of ATF, standard springs, a pre-load spacer of 55mm, and no air pressure.

Currently I am trying out a Shinko front (read Yokohama), it's a good ride but a touch slower in the steering than I prefer. Hangs on well, I pinged a peg so I guess it's okay.