News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Changed the flywheel today

Started by treedragon, November 05, 2008, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

I finally got around to checking the "three bolts" today, they were loose, balancer nut took up a tad more as well.
The gear on the back of the flywheel wasn't looking as good as it could so I dropped a near new one while I was at it.

I had a prepared XZ400 flywheel on hand so that's what went back in as it is nearly .75 of a kg lighter.

Pleased I did, the engine is perkier you can certainly feel it pulling harder and there is a little more engine braking although this aspect doesn't seem as noticeable.
The original plan had been to shave some more off but the lathe wasn't free so I will address this later as there is still plenty of meat than can be safely removed.

All up a good move I feel.

Edit:
Just taken it out for a good "expression of it's willingness to go" and I need to upgrade the above to "Definitely a good move" and there will be certainly more coming off the flywheel. I'm no light weight and overtaking has always been something to approach with caution if space be limited (and it always is if you are in a hurry), well it's not half so bad now  ;D  ;D  ;D and then there were a couple of corners I'm used to giving it a handful  :o  :o might change my strategy a touch on them  ;D

So I have conveyed my impressions to the man and you can feel the enthusiasm growing.... he reckons he has got basically a tin can flywheel from a Ducati race machine, (enough to hold the trigger magnet), and an idea on an alternative way of charging the sparkly dept. No details but will actively encourage this line of creative thought...............