News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Replacement rear shock?

Started by fret not, January 11, 2010, 04:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoracer8

Race Tech makes Gold valve cartridge imulators, I've used them in several sets of forks over the years, and they do make a big difference, but they are not a drop in deal you have to modify the damper tube, not a big deal but something that has to be done. A good time to replace the fork seals and clean the gunk out of the bottom of the fork legs.
  www.race-tech.com

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

treedragon

Yes there is a degree of modification with the YSS units as well, it amounts to the drilling of a few holes in the damper tube.

Either would be worth the $'s in my books but I note that here in NZ the cost of the YSS units is around NZ$140 less than the Gold Valve units for the same technology.

motoracer8

Wow, I think I payed about $75usd for the last batch I got. I normaly keep 2-3 pairs around for 35mm forks.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

johnclemens

found this shock while I was looking for something else. Spendy but its a direct replacement.
John
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/XZ_550_RJ_RK/82-86/picture/Monoshock_-_Hagon/

akvision

1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

fret not

"Spendy",  . . . . . ya think? :)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Night Vision

I'd get a Wilbers if I wanted an expensive alternative to an '83 shock
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I'll soon have a spare 82 shock, so i'm going to try an idea i've had for a while now:
i'm going to tap the shock & install an air fitting to pressurize the shock.

Anyone know if it was pressurized originaly? am i in for a nasty suprise? think after all these years it'll hold pressure?

stay tuned, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

akvision

Lucky,
The stock shocks have warning labels regarding hight pressure therein..

Beware!   I would take an old one and use it for target practice and see what happens. :D
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

lexx790

Quote from: Lucky on February 25, 2010, 11:10:01 PM
I'll soon have a spare 82 shock, so i'm going to try an idea i've had for a while now:
i'm going to tap the shock & install an air fitting to pressurize the shock.

Anyone know if it was pressurized originaly? am i in for a nasty suprise? think after all these years it'll hold pressure?

stay tuned, lol

The haynes manual shows where to drill in the shock safely before disposing of it, so it is pressurised.

Lucky

So it does.  i guess if i find that there is no pressure left when i open it than it leaked out.  good place for a fitting but hten air will leak out too.  whatever, we'll see.  i'll let you know.

jasonm.

I see someone mentioned the Hagon. There is a retailer by me in Connecticut, Dave Quinn. He also advetises in Cycle World  I believe he is the largest seller of these 203-393-2651   or   www.davequinnmotorcycles.com  FYI , Wilbers shocks I think are way past $600 if they had one that fit a "V"  .
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

fret not

Lucky, they charge those shocks with nitrogen, not air.  I have forgotten the reason but it is important.

One thing I learned about "air forks" (forks with air caps) is the air acts as a spring, and the pressure wears heavily on the fork seals.  At least it did in the 70s & 80s.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Lucky

I realize that, this is a spare shock that would otherwise hit the trash can so i have nothing to loose, i'll have to be extra aware while testing it out (assuming it passes a waterbath leak test)

also, that's bull, I never throw anything Vision away... I tried to toss a rusted tank, & someone on here spotted it by the trash cans, in a pic of my bike i posted & got mad at me for throwing it away, so i went & rescued it, it's in my carport now, lol

--Lucky

inanecathode

You can't preload a shock like that with air. The pressurization in the shock itself is to help with valving action with the oil. What preload that does put on the spring rate is negligable. That said it's already under high pressure, you're not going to get much over whats already in there. They're not forks, the springs are on the outside, you can't dump air into the shock itself and get any more spring out of it. If you've ever seen one of those honda pro-link units, it'll make sense. Just looks like a big tube, not a coil over shock with air going into the damper.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

treedragon

We rebuild and re-gas rear shocks on a regular basis in our shop.

Always nitrogen because it is inert ie stable of over all temperature ranges and so the internal pressure doesn't change. Usually filled at between 100 - 125psi.

I did read ages ago that the combination of oxygen and oil in a really hot shock = boom,  however..........