Riding again!

Started by h2olawyer, June 21, 2006, 09:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Finally, after 3 weeks not riding - too busy watching after my dad - I got a good ride in this afternoon.  Went for a 60 mile jaunt in the foothills of the Front Range.  One of the fun loops west of me.  Used the GPS to track my route & shot some video.  Unfortunately, my video camera battery died before I got to the section of road I really want to shoot.   ::)  Oh well, looking briefly at the raw video I managed to get, there ought to be something useable for publishing on my web site in the near future.

The V ran better than it has in a long time & it's been running great before this.  Maybe the 15 pounds I've lost recently helped give it some more horsepower.   ;D  Found the engine noise I had mentioned earlier in a couple different postings.  I thought it was either valves or exhaust leak since it only happened at certain temperatures.  Turns out the collars on the rear exhaust y-pipe were both fairly loose.  Tightened them up & the knocking is gone!   :D

All in all, a great day, even though my normal Wednesday night ride buddies couldn't go today.  It was a solo ride & I completed it in about 20 minutes less than when we ride it as a group.  I played a little harder with the right wrist than normal for me today.  Saw a state patrolman come over a hill toward me & I was about 15 over the posted limit.  He didn't do a thing!  (whew!)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Serendipity

Yeah! I am so glad you got to get a good ride in and blow off some steam. I know you have been under a lot of stress lately. Hope your dad is doing well.

I was in such a funk today and somehow fate smiled on me and I was able to ride to work this afternoon. Boy did that ever improve my mood!!! Someone once said that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man. I think that goes for motorcycles too.

Blurred Vision

I try to ride to work as often as possible. Although it takes more preparation to get the bike out warmed up, get dressed and of course chug my morning coffee ( Haven't devised the Tim Hortons motorcycle cup holder yet), I find my work days more pleasurable, and look forward to the ride home in the afternoon.
Jay

Extent

I'll try and get my server back online before I leave work tonight so you can post a longer video if you want.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

h2olawyer

Unfortunately, the batteries in my camcorder died just before the stretch of road I want desperately to film.   >:(  However, there is a cool section where I'm passing a huge motorhome.  (Greyhound bus sized with what seemed like an awesome diesel in it.)  The guy was putting his foot in it coming out of the corners & driving it faster than most bag-o-winos go up that road but he was really slowing me down.  Managed to get him passed at one of the last places to legally get around someone before the road tightens up & becomes mostly linked turns with some short straight sections.  Had a cahnce to run through a couple gears while passing & the audio came out great!

I'm going on a large group ride on Sunday.  We're riding over Trail Ridge Road (the highway through Rocky Mountain National Park).  I will be filming that ride and it is on one of the rides I'm planning for the 25 year celebration.  That is one I plan to make available on DVD for those who request one.  More details on that after I get the ride edited.  If the weather is good on Sunday, I'll be riding another pass - Willow Creek - that leads to a couple different rides planned for the 25 year shindig.  Should be a 250 - 300 mile day.

It felt great to blow off some steam on the ride.  Since I was riding solo for the first time in quite a while, I found out my solo riding skills have improved quite a bit.   ;D  Riding with others in a group formation is fun but I find it kind of restricting.  Keeping your place in the lane and following someone else I have a hard time keeping the V in my favorite RPM ranges.  Besides, if you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.   ;D

Dad is doing much better so my mind is finally at ease enough to trust myself riding again.  Plus, I'm finally getting some good sleep so that helps as well.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.