News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Why do (Some) old Visionaries fade away?

Started by Re-Vision, October 20, 2009, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnclemens

The bike has been described here before.
But the brief rundown is:
1990 Yamaha FZR 400 Alum Chassis.
Chassis is pretty much stock. Fox Shock and srings in the forks.

The motor is a chain converted 650cc
Corrillo rods, JE pistons, Megacycle cams. Ported heads. Mikuni carbs, pretty much the whole thing was built by myself and a few friends.
Everything was custom and it all costs way more than you plan for.
If you were to try to build one of these motors now you would spend more than you could buy a new motorcycle for.
Last time it was on a Dino it did about 80 hp at the rear wheel.
The bike worked Awesome and was very fast. I won plenty of races and a few club class championships. I raced mostly in the NW and a few national twins races. Got 2nd in one of them after leading for most of the race.
the bike was untouchable for a number of years till the SV650 came out. That bike has close to 80hp stock. I know guys at the track that are getting close to a 100 with the motor leaned on. Mine would need some major cash in the motor to get near those numbers. Then it may not be as reliable as it was. It has never suffered any kind of engine failure. Amazing considering I raced it for almost 5 years with only piston and cylinder changes.
Could roll it out of my office today and it would prolly start right up!

Cdnlouie

Amazing accomplishment! Thanks for sharing again and continuing to be a testimony to the reliability of the engine design.

QBS

John, thanks for the report and update.  Don't be a stranger.

Rick G

David , that saying actually applies to all , old neglected bikes. People ride them until something , they don't understand or can't afford to fix, goes wrong and then let them sit behind the shed or in a corner of the garage , to sink into the ground. There for they have gotten much of the good out of the bike , until some one puts some good back in, it will be a derelict.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

I like your analogy Rick...actually better than the "gremlin" thing  :P. I wouldn't call it being disagreeable to say the same thing in a different way. But David has just too much time on his hands...put some more polish on that yellow-jacket.

Cheers fellows!  ;)

johnclemens

Thanks man,
It was a great trip to do with my Brother. I hope you enjoy reading it. I'm not much of a blogger.
That was my first time...
We're having a talk/slideshow in Seattle this weekend if anyone is around.
Its at some adventure group with the Land Rover club.
Anyone is invited.

I will do a blog on my vision project in Jan. I promise.
I am collecting bits and things now for the bike. I got an R1 front end.
All the stuff to build new pipes. Some new spoke wheels..
Should be fun. I have not had my hands on my old vision for 10 years.....
Stay tuned

Lucky

Quote from: johnclemens on December 15, 2009, 01:55:07 AM
Should be fun. I have not had my hands on my old vision for 10 years.....
Stay tuned

So now your in the same boat as the rest of us, ...old Vision, ...sat for years, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

John, your chain conversion info would be very valuable as swapping the Vision motor out into a modern frame really gets my attention.  I love what you did with the pipes on your current racer and would be very interested in configuration and pipe lengths, sizes, etc. for your new project.  You have our undivided attention should you choose to dabble a bit more in this really fun project.

I often question myself, why I like the aesthetics of the Vision motor?  I have to say that it is a unique look and one that really appeals to me, and keeps me just enjoying that compact V-twin with the sculpted cylinders and heads.  That's one of the reasons I love the 82 (non-fairing) that allows you to enjoy the engine every day.

Thanks for the invite to your event.  Sounds like a fun time.

Have a good one,

QBS

Louie, I agree.  My '83 is a love hate relationship.  I love the look and protection of the full fairing.  The heated lower are fabulous in the cold.  I hate that the engine is so obscured.  Naked Vs look really great with their sophisticated engine on proud display.  A gearheads delight.  The engine is what motorcycles are all about.

Shop Rat

Quote from: QBS on December 15, 2009, 12:27:44 PM
Louie, I agree.  My '83 is a love hate relationship.  I love the look and protection of the full fairing.  The heated lower are fabulous in the cold.  I hate that the engine is so obscured.  Naked Vs look really great with their sophisticated engine on proud display.  A gearheads delight.  The engine is what motorcycles are all about.

I agree that hiding the engine deprives onlookers of the bike's best feature. That's why I'm rethinking this whole Vision project. If I use the fairings, bags, etc., am I really going to use the bike for trips?  Or would I be happier with a cafe or flat-tracker look?  Maybe I flip a coin?

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Raj1988

Quote from: inanecathode on October 25, 2009, 02:21:06 AM
Cause they get all wrapped up in air cooled two strokes and volkswagens.

Oldest dream : RD 350+ lots of gas+oil + $$ - work = Perma High
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

akvision

To me... it is not how it looks...I mean I appreciate a nice looking bike..but it is all about how it feels.

My favorite bikes in my past are definitely,,, the RD350 (Did the Cal/Oregon coast ride) the BMW R90S. (did a ride to Alaska in 1977 from WA State)  Now the Vision... Denver to  Roswell return. Loved the handling and overall character of the V. Next, then Denver to Chillicothe MO, Mtn Home AK then Zachary La then Leeds AL then Houston, TX and return to Denver.  Will this be my one of my favorites.  Observations to follow. You all have to wait till June 2010.  My BMW75/7, Cassiar Highway, September 2010..
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Lucky

or do what i did: buy one for touring, one to Cafe` :)

Quote from: Shop Rat on December 19, 2009, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: QBS on December 15, 2009, 12:27:44 PM
Louie, I agree.  My '83 is a love hate relationship.  I love the look and protection of the full fairing.  The heated lower are fabulous in the cold.  I hate that the engine is so obscured.  Naked Vs look really great with their sophisticated engine on proud display.  A gearheads delight.  The engine is what motorcycles are all about.

I agree that hiding the engine deprives onlookers of the bike's best feature. That's why I'm rethinking this whole Vision project. If I use the fairings, bags, etc., am I really going to use the bike for trips?  Or would I be happier with a cafe or flat-tracker look?  Maybe I flip a coin?

Frank
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Quote from: Raj1988 on February 07, 2010, 07:56:50 PM

How about a 400?

Sorta work in progress. Runs and drives fine, but the seat has to be reshaped for the rear sets.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ironb12s

I can only speak to my own situation, the bike is 1800 miles out of sight, and not frequently in mind.  I may be able to change that this year, but I won't be holding any breath.  Basically, I have been Overtaken By Other Events, OBOE. 

Interesting, too, what brought me back most recently was the change of the decade, and now due to finding a folder on a thumbdrive, named, curiously enough, "Regulator".  What to my wondering eyes should I find, but the new Vision Regulator design?!  How is that coming, if I might ask?  I should I just go and RTFForum?

In other words, life gets in the way sometimes, and we Riders of Vision all have lives aside from the motorcycle.  Once I get my Vision out of storage, get some paint on the frame and bodyworks, and get her running again....
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Raj1988

Quote from: inanecathode on February 08, 2010, 10:37:30 AM

How about a 400?

Sorta work in progress. Runs and drives fine, but the seat has to be reshaped for the rear sets.

Never ridden one. Apparently more civilized? Also more reliable!!! Right now i'm all wrapped up in Farkling my vision for a long summer ride!!! Maybe next year i shall begin hunting for an RD that will allow me devote my attentions to her!!!!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

akvision

Way interesting handlbars on the RD!!   Definitely set up for wheelies!

Inane, I can only dream about those days now.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

inanecathode

Quote from: akvision on February 08, 2010, 10:01:20 PM
Way interesting handlbars on the RD!!   Definitely set up for wheelies!

Inane, I can only dream about those days now.

They're pretty cheap if you know how to work on them ;)
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Night Vision

here 'ya go Raj... buy it up, give me some gas money to get her to my house, and I'll keep her until you can figure out how to get it home  ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-YAMAHA-RD350-NO-Reserve-RD-350-ALL-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ250578007460QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item3a579cf5a4

ringadingdingding
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!