I rode my Vision to Colorado, a narrative in 13 chapters (with pictures)

Started by don_vanecek, September 21, 2007, 12:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

bump, my pictures are still up and running.  The VJMC of course shortened what they published mostly by leaving out the Wednesday ride.

h2olawyer

Thanks for bumping this up to the top again, Don!  Great to read it again and reminisce.  That was sure one fun week!!

Maybe we can do an upper mid-west ROV rally in the Black Hills of South Dakota like next summer (2009)?  I'll bet some of the COROV wold attend and it wouldn't be quite the long haul for you.  Just have to make sure we don't do it the same time as Sturgis!

With my bike running so mch better (not that it was that bad before) and the fact it now has over 15,000 miles on the clock, I'm hoping to get some longer distance tours in later this year.  Yellowstone is high on my list as is Monument Valley & a trip to visit Rick G.  Jst have to see how the stator lasts now.  That's the only thing holding me back from making long rides.  Maybe not quite Kennyesque, but long, nonetheless!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

Interesting idea Robert, haven't been in the black hills since 1976 when one of my brothers was a KC 135 pilot stationed up there.

By the way those Dunlap 404's in the story have now been replaced by some very nice Avon Roadriders.   

Rick G

As an old railfan I'd love to visit the Georgetown  loop, actually I'd love to see any of the love to see any of the Colorado ? New Mexico narrow guage railroads.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Sorry to say rick, but they closed the loop. No more narrow gauge :(
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

BUMMMMMMMMER!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Their website is still up & running with no mention of shutting down.  They are restoring the steam locomotives now & are using diesels until that's done.

www.georgetownlooprr.com

The best narrow gauge rides are the Cumbres & Toltec & the Durango & Silverton.  The Cumbres & Toltec has an original steam powered rotary snowthrower they use to open the route in the spring.  I really want to see that thing in person.  Video is really cool, but not like being there.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Oh thats right, they just stopped the steam trains for a while. They did close the office they had in the middle of georgetown though, and they removed the caboose they had parked there as well.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

h2olawyer

That happened when the former operator couldn't get good terms for a long term contract with the Colorado historical Society.  Georgetown Loop Railroad, Inc. owns the building & took all the locomotives & rolling stock they own down to the Railroad Museum in Golden.  They now operate the Royal Gorge Route.  (standard gauge diesel-electric)

H2O

Rick G

I have the rotory on tape and the mudhens. Always have been a big fan of the  C&T and the D&S.
Rick G

h2olawyer

Mudhens?  You mean the "Galloping Geese"?  Those things are great.  There is a restored one that runs on both the D&S and the C&T.  There are restored ones at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden and one is just fixed up enough to look good and sits in front of the court house in Telluride.  Those originally ran on the Rio Grande Southern tracks which were mainly over Lizard Head Pass between Telluride & Cortez.

www.gallopinggoose.org

H2O

Rick G

The Galloping Geese are the rail cars ( called skunks on the Fort Bragg line , because of the diesel exhaust)  I was referring to the outside connected 2-8-2's . They were converted from standard gauge  Mikados , by putting the drivers on the inside of the frame and the counter weights on the out side . The drivers used were smaller than the standard gauge ones so the engines sat lower, causing the counter weights to slap and dig the mud, along side the road bed , during spring thaw. They thus acquired the nickname "Mud hens"
Rick G

h2olawyer

Thanks, Rick.  Some rail trivia I hadn't heard.  I did know about how they converted the Mikados for narrow gauge, but never heard about the counterweights digging mud before.   8)

H2O