News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

how to adjust 83 shock?

Started by tremalzo, September 26, 2010, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tremalzo

The restoration of my second xz550 is almost finished. The bike has a 83 shock I bought on eBay.

I don't know how to adjustment this shock. Should I start whit the adjustment at the bottom of the shock or the one at the top?  

Thanks,
Frans

Lucky

one is preload (the metal one) start with it in the middle, the other is dampening (with the black plastic ring) start with it on 2 or 3.  adjust as you see fit for additional weight of the rider, passenger, bags, fairings, etc.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tremalzo

motoracer8

I think it adjusts the rebound, it does'nt make much difference on mine no matter what the settings are.
Rule of thumb, more spring preload, the more rebound damping you need.   The 83 shock may be better than the 82, but not by much.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

h2olawyer

As Lucky said, the upper plastic ring adjusts the rebound damping.  It controls how the shock returns to its extended length.  The 'not much difference' was like night & day for me.  Not really noticeable until you get into washboards in a corner.  The 82 tends to bounce a lot.  The 83 smooths it out.  Before i swapped my 82 shock for an 83, the rear suspension was the weak link.  After the swap, the forks are now the problem.  A few pounds of air in the (83) forks helps, but even with the brace, I notice a lot of flex and lateral 'wobble' (for lack of a better word).

There are better rear shocks out there and easier to find than an 83 unit.  I just wanted to point out that I found a huge difference between the two and the 83 is indeed a much improved shock.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

H2O is absolutely correct. I had an '82 with only 5k miles. And it bounced wildly when hitting rough roads. The magazines of the day confirmed the '83 shock was avast improvement. "on #1 or #2 is the same as an '82's rebound. 3 thru 5 are an improvement". Then I got an '83 shock...great simple cure. OKAY, you need to adjust the damping based on your weight also.  In the manual they tell you to view the adjuster's numbers from the right side. Gotta get on your knees." remove right side cover". Note the numer clearly visable above the valve cover. If not sure what number you are on. Just turn it to #5 the back it down a notch or 2. And use long screwdriver. Or lift the tank and adjust. I have mine on #4 rebound. I am 190#.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Extent

The method for setting the rebound that I remember is pretty simple.  Have someone hold the bike upright by the bars, then push down hard on the tail.  The suspension should take about 1 second to return to it's full extension.  Bigger numbers = slower return.  I don't remember where I read about this, probably one of Kevin Camerons articles.

If you have too much rebound damping your suspension will pack down over a series of bumps and you'll be left with essentially a hard-tail.  Too little damping and it bounces.  If you bounce the tail of an 82 it jumps up really quick, like maybe 1/3 of a second IIRC, the 83 is noticeably softer.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Hartless

does anyone know where to get a decent new rear shock, possibly that adjusts a little taller (im 6'6" tall) and isnt a million dollars..?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Rikugun

So you want a NEW rear shock? One that is affordable. AND, one that is capable of altering the ride height. Anything else? Maybe comes with a fruit basket? Or is hand delivered by a playmate??  That's a pretty "tall" order my friend!  :D :laugh: :laugh: :D

Let me know if you do find one....I want one too....
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

ok ,i found one , it comes with either a tropical friit mix, or mixed berry......
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

tremalzo

Thanks. Your instructions will be of help setting up the rear suspension. I expect to finish the restoration in a few weeks. Looking forward to the first ride.

QBS

On my '83 I like a plush ride.  Zero pre load and full (5) rebound does the trick for 25 yrs.