News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

I think I finished my bike!

Started by vl5150, September 19, 2014, 10:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vl5150

It's been a pretty interesting journey getting a rough Vision with 2300 miles to where I'm at today  Learned carbs, jetting, brakes, clutch, jetting, flap, no flap, overheating, starter, thermositching, thermostat, etc. 

I had picked up a vacuum airbox cover a few months ago, but I was playing with the jetting with the flap off the original airbox lid.  I was able to get rid most of the stumble, but I saw a revised carb top and it arrived today.  Well, as you guys said that did the trick.  I thought it fitting to put my new tank and bodywork on tonight.  Of course I took it our and a mile later it started raining, but I think the bike is doing great.

I appreciate the member input and wealth of info here that helped me get it running.

skucera

Isn't that a great feeling?  Enjoy the weeks ahead.  If you're in the northern hemisphere, I hope you get in lots of good riding before the winter closes in.

Scott

vl5150

Thanks!  I'm in S. FL so my riding season is just beginning. :) :)

fret not

Good looking bike! 

Are you going to treat the tank with POR15 or just run it 'naked' and hope it doesn't develop rust inside?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

vl5150

I was going to do it as a preventative, but I jumped the gun and just installed it. I'll do it if I start to see problems.  I'll probably keep a bit of seafoam in the tank to evaporate water and mix it up to prevent that corner from rusting.

Rikugun

Quote from: vl5150 on September 19, 2014, 10:02:19 PM
It's been a pretty interesting journey getting a rough Vision with 2300 miles to where I'm at today  Learned carbs, jetting, brakes, clutch, jetting, flap, no flap, overheating, starter, thermositching, thermostat, etc. 

I had picked up a vacuum airbox cover a few months ago, but I was playing with the jetting with the flap off the original airbox lid.  I was able to get rid most of the stumble, but I saw a revised carb top and it arrived today.  Well, as you guys said that did the trick.  I thought it fitting to put my new tank and bodywork on tonight.  Of course I took it our and a mile later it started raining, but I think the bike is doing great. I appreciate the member input and wealth of info here that helped me get it running.

Figures!  :)  Thanks for posting this as it's nice to hear another good running Vision is prowling around out there.  Good looking bodywork BTW.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

vl5150

False alarm--had rich jetting at WOTafter the vacuum lid was installed and a drip from the pilot jet screw.  A little magic and some trial and error and I'm back in business.  I just took it on a ride and all systems are a go.  It started to rain or I would have stayed out a bit longer- it was too much fun.

Rikugun

After installing the flapper/vacuum lid, did you happen to run the engine while the gas tank was removed? With everything connected and revving the engine does the flapper open all the way? If it's movement was restricted that may richen wide open throttle. Just a thought.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Quote from: vl5150 on September 19, 2014, 10:02:19 PM
but I saw a revised carb top and it arrived today. 

By a revised carb top, do you mean a vacuum assisted flapper on the top cover of your air box?

What jetting configuration did you end up with?

Cheers
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

vl5150

I did check it with the tank off and it looks like it's opening all the way.  I ended up with 115F and a 120R and 122's on the top. 

**Update** 4/2015  I did some more checking and the flap needed to be opened more while at rest.  It's not enough to have it open all the way, but the timing of when it opens.  I have a new post on this, but the flap is not opened about 1/4" at rest and not resting on the rubber bumper.