News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

lets show the Northern Contingent how its done!

Started by Rick G, March 08, 2009, 11:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

We may have 4 more for the AZrov spring ride. Teresa , on a new Yamaha 950 star and her husband Mike , on a Menie, Frank, a Pastor on either a CBR 600 or his Kwaker Can-o-Coors and Joel on either his Yamaha Road Star or his New Buellisses. that would bring us to 12 .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

how many miles of riding do you think there will be rick? im trying to come up with a gas budget
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

The trip to Supi is 150 round trip  . We will stop in Truxton to top off the tanks and fill the axualliary tanks.
Unless we go 45 MPH, a Vision will run out 20 or 25 miles short of  Truxton on the way back. I have several two gallon cans and one , one gallon can, to loan. I'll be scrounging up a few more . Other bikes may not have  a problem.  The Meany can't do it, but a ST1300, can do it, with a couple of gallons to spare. When you get back to Kingman you will have over a half tank left.
I'm hoping there's time in there some where to go to Oatman , its only 60 miles round trip, but a lot of fun, If time permits we can head from there, down to Golden Shores and then , either go back on I40 to Kingman, or 95 through Bullhead and up the grade on 68 to Kingman. Either way  its about 110 miles and can be done on one tank. Although I gas up, in Golden Shores or Bullhead, as I hate to walk. ;) ;) :D :D :D ;D ;D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Still not sure if I'll ride or drive.  Kind of depends on how much I want to spend time under the darkest skies.  If there's much moon that weekend, I'll most definitely be on 2 wheels as the scope works best in dark, moonless skies when viewing or imaging those faint fuzzy things out there.   8)

Either way, I'll stick around long enough for an Oatman ride - if you don't mind waiting for my slow a$$.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I usually wait  at the top of Sitgraves pass, for others to catch up . I always request that anyone riding with me , ride at there own pace, I don't want to be responsible, for some one crashing trying to keep up with my insanity. 
When I rode there with Coil, he filled my mirror all the time , in spite of malfunctioning carbs. It wasn't until we got to the whoop T dos, on the way to Golden shores, that I could pull away and only by running 110  when he was running out of top end.
On the subject of insane speed, I will limit speeds to a much more reasonable pace than in the fall. I think both Ron and Glenn were a little unhappy with my 90 mph. I can't blame them. I just that I LOVE a tight throttle cable.
Rick G

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on April 14, 2009, 07:30:18 PM
I usually wait  at the top of Sitgraves pass, for others to catch up . I always request that anyone riding with me , ride at there own pace, I don't want to be responsible, for some one crashing trying to keep up with my insanity. 
When I rode there with Coil, he filled my mirror all the time , in spite of malfunctioning carbs. It wasn't until we got to the whoop T dos, on the way to Golden shores, that I could pull away and only by running 110  when he we running out of top end.
On the subject of insane speed, I will limit speeds to a much more reasonable pace than in the fall. I think both Ron and Glenn were a little unhappy with my 90 mph. I can't blame them. I just that I LOVE a tight throttle cable.

Keep in mind some of us have to ride our bikes back, in a non exploded state so i think i'll ride as fast as im comfortable with, but no high load runs like that :P

I got the job today, so i'm definitely on as far as i can see :)

Just doing some mileage calculations and maintenance lists for both the bikes but its shaping up well :)

Rick G

I think I just said that part about riding at your own pace! Coil was free to ride at any speed , he chose to stay with me.  We are talking about the last 8 miles going in to Oatman and 15 miles going to Golden shores , anyway . The balance of the ride is  two lane highway , with lots of wonderful scenery , so we will want to ride at av pace to enjoy it,  as well as lots of stops to take pictures.
Rick G

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Coil Coyle

Cathode,

If you stop and think about it, riding behind someone who is up ahead playing "Rabbit" is a nice way to avoid speed traps.

Rick plays a real good rabbit.

;D
Coil

inanecathode

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on April 15, 2009, 01:06:01 AM
Cathode,

If you stop and think about it, riding behind someone who is up ahead playing "Rabbit" is a nice way to avoid speed traps.

Rick plays a real good rabbit.

;D
Coil

Haha yeah, thats one way to see it!

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Rick G on April 09, 2009, 06:00:19 PM
I'm hoping there's time in there some where to go to Oatman , its only 60 miles round trip, but a lot of fun

ROV,
       The road to Oatman, AZ is a classic Vision road. It's beat up, twisty 1940's, The United States of America, concrete with mule shit randomly deposited any where you might not want to see it. Add in a goldfish pond on a cliff; your Vision and you will both enjoy the bonding experience, trust Rick.

Then stop in town, have a soda, maybe watch a bank robbery or a senseless gun fight while you chill out. Listen to the Harley riders bitch about "that last 10 miles of road coming into town".

;)
Coil

Rick G

On rare occasions you may even encounter mules . In the spring of '08 Don minor stopped buy on his way to the CArov ride and we went to Oatman. We spent a half hour sitting on a bench in Oatman BSing about Vision cranks , until it was dark. Just after we had exited the canyon , we encountered several "ghosts" drifting across the road in the dark. Vigorous braking ensued  and after we stopped we realised it was a herd of wild donkeys , mostly Jacks , who were crossing the road.
It was one of the most memorable rides I've ever had.

Actually Don was the cause of my leading rides, at too fast a speed!  At the start of the '05 CArov ride (I think it was the fall ride)  we were heading out of Kingman on I 40 at 65 MPH , the speed limit is 75,  but I was trying to keep the group together and be a good boy . Don came zooming up beside me , on his  BMW SUV and said " this is going to take all day, if you don't get going",  wrong thing to say to me!!
After that I stopped every so often ,to be sure everyone was still with us. Actually the group kept pace very well . Great bunch of guys and skilled riders!!

AZ now has photo radar vans, that they move around and I have seen them on 66, close to Kingman.
I don't know if there farther out . There's not a lot of traffic past Truxton, so it may not be productive out there, who knows. They post warning signs anywhere from a mile to 25 feet ahead of the van, I think I depends on the operators sense of humor.

I try to stay off of I 40 if there's any other route , I detest running in close proximity to over the road semis. 80 mph is  my usuall cruising speed on I40, with its 75 mph limit. and they run 85 to 90 so there always passing me , with there recap tyres throwing treads at me. I shut the throttle as they come along side , so that they get by in a hurry. Since fuel costs has gone up their running slower and the economy has reduced the number . I'm still not  a fan of I 40 .
Rick G

h2olawyer

I don't ride to massage my ego - I will ride only as fast as I feel is appropriate for me.  Some of that is from all the miles I've ridden alone.  The rest comes from the first few times I tried riding fast, law enforcement always managed to sind out & put a stop to that.  I've always been one of those who gets in trouble just for being in the same area where others are misbehaving.  I just finally decided to take it easy and enjoy my surroundings rather than concentrate so hard on pushing the pace.  If I absolutely need to be someplace and am running late, I can push it a bit, but I just prefer an enjoyable, relaxing ride.

That said, it did get a tiny bit monotonous riding behind Don V. at the 25 year party, but I felt better knowing he was safe.  After all, the Colorado mountains are just a bit different than the Nebraska flatland.   ;D

--Oh yeah, kwells - you're REAL slow.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I've never felt that I was massaging my ego, when riding fast. I've always ridden pretty fast  and even did some production road racing in my 20's (Orange county raceway, Riverside raceway, Willow springs)
Having raced made me a much better street rider, able to make decisions far more quickly. I do it now to hone my reaction time. ( and for the adrenalin rush ) As I have  gotten older there are many things I don't do as well, (never mind the snickering)  But I'm still fairly compatent on a bike , But a bit slower than I was 6 or 7 years ago.
The larger a group gets the slower the leader has to go, to prevent the accordion effect. so other than the last 10 miles in to Oatman where I may pull ahead a bit , we will run at a pace that keeps the group intact (and unmolested by the Mohave county Sheriffs office and the AZ DPS.
During the fall ride we were 3 to Supi and 2 to Oatman, so keeping track of everyone was very easy even  at 110 mph .
I ride with the CMA and they nearly put me to sleep , but I  persevere  and run with the group. In fact we may have a couple of CMA riders with us, on the Saturday ride to Supi.

There will be lots of stops to take pictures and a stop in Peach springs for lunch. The lodge there has great food and is run by the Hualipie Nation, (its on the reservation) Besides there's no where else to get lunch!!
You will all enjoy your adventure I promise!
Rick G

dminor

Rick,
   I'll be on the BMW. Gas is not a problem, if you have a can that won't leak on the carpet in my trunk,I'll be the tanker. As for the speed I can take my time   or just go ahead,(that is if I know where we are going).All roads are rideable, as long as they are not dirt ( I have to do that to start this run).
    I hope you have a good turnout for this  ride, Ill be happy to see all.
Don

PS. see you in May  ;)

Rick G

We may have to rename the SUV into the super tanker.  So far I have 2 metal  one gallon cans and 2 plastic 2 gallon cans as well as a plastic on gallon . I'll confirm the leak proof qualities this week.
Its all pavement , Hi way 11 from 66 to Supi has a few pot holes , but its quite ride able.
I remember seeing your head light as a pin hole of light behind me on I40 , in '05, and then you pulled up along side , out of nowhere!  Then you disappeared over the western horizon in a flash. I was doing 90 and you left me like I was standing still!! We are going to have to take it easy on these guys, they sound pretty conservative to me!  I want them to enjoy there ride!! ;) ;) :D :D :D :D
Rick G

h2olawyer

Didn't mean to offend!  When I said I don't ride to massage my ego, I just meant I ride my own ride - no matter what anyone else thinks.

I know that according to the Department of Homeland Security I am a Right Wing Extremist, but that doesn't mean I intentionally offend anyone (at least anyone who doesn't deserve it).   ;D

H2O

funkamongus

lol,, according to DHS,, anyone who is concerned about anything is an extremist.. Maybe their right,, I certainly feel like one now the the left wing has been pulled so far to the left.. even if you were center before,, youre FAR right now...I was on the right before,, Im off the table now...
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Brian Moffet

I hate to tell you this, but you're all extremists.

I'm not.

Rick G

No  offense taken H2,  I'm really the same way, I ride at my own speed . Except when I'm leading a large group, then I'm pretty conservative , unless I get complaints I'm going too slow, then I tighten up the throttle cable. I can't help it , its built in.
Rick G