How to spend your birthday...

Started by glennw, October 19, 2006, 11:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennw

How to spend your 54th Birthday...
Every year (since I have owned the V)... I try to take a nice 2 or 3 day bike trip on my birthday... avoid the trappings and BS and do what I want...you know...

So Friday the 13th I took off for the Kern River area... I wanted to try a new road as I have been there many times.. So it was up the 101... along the Pacific Coast... this part is a boring straight road.. ho humm... Ah, but 100 miles later I'm on hwy 58 heading east.
It starts out real twisty and tight and opens up into high speed sweepers.... then there are some nice 90 degree turns before it turns into huge straights filled with king sized high speed whoops.... yea man! About the time I got into the (San Joaquin) valley it started to rain / thunder / lighting.. That was the next 100 miles to Woford Heights.. where I stayed for the weekend.

Saturday Morning the weather was better and I met up with Ron (McCoy) and Chris (Visionless)... We made the run up the Sherman Pass... sweet (the CROV members from the 2004 fall run know what I mean). Then down thru Kennedy Meadows and Nine mile Canyon into the desert. Back over Walker pass to Isabella for some fine Mexican chow..(Bakersfield Style).. What a great day! Ron was on his ST and Chris was on his Katana... but the old V ran like a clock....(and kept up..most of the time..

Sundays trip home found me on the Lions trail... I hate cows on the road..(at least the ones with horns were steers!.).....all in all the corners are well worth it. I would put this road up against the "Dragon" anytime... did I mention in 45 min ...I did not see ONE car.. hehehe....
Then across the valley again to Hwy 166 .... very straight with high speed sweepers for the last 1/3 of the distance. It was there I got to fillet two Harley's (Sportsters)... complete with lard asses in leather... Yep...
A quick left put me on another  CROV group ride road from last spring.. and it's 50 mph sweepers all the way back to Santa Barbara.. 680 miles total.. 0 problems...

Happy Birthday to me..
GlennW

Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

Glenn -

Happy Birthday!  Sounds like a great ride.  Can't think of many better ways to spend a birthday.

I do remember the Woford Heights / Lake Isabella roads - even though I 'wimped out' & didn't do Sherman Pass.  I was pretty wiped out by Caliente - Bodfish at that point.  Put enough miles on recently that I could do it all today.

Glad to hear the V ran so well for all those miles.  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

supervision

Happy birthday Glenn, those are some nice roads you guys took, glad you didn't get totally rained out. We had clouds for a couple of days, I was at Hollister with the XL 125 and the trailer house for the AHRMA national motocross that weekend. Perfect conditions, cloud cover kept the track from drying out. I rode around on the Honda watching the races. My freinds from Merced set-up their 20x40 tent as a base to party from, good food and campfires.

" border="0

hfarley

Happy Belated Birthday! That sounds like the perfect birthday gift to yourself. I may have to steal your idea one of these years. After all I did buy the Vision for my 30th birthday so it would only make sense to ride it on my birthday. Congrats on a great ride and it sounds as if it was very relaxing and the perfect time.
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

YellowJacket!

Happy Birthday Glen.  That does sound like a very nice ride and I'm glad you didn't have nay problems with the V.  It's amazing how our bikes can keep up with the newer ones.

I spent my 40th Birthday on the Dragon with Lucky.  Great ride and a great way to spend a birthday.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

VinceDee

Happy B'day, Glenn.  ;D

That sounds like a great way to spend the time.

So I guess you got that leaking problem fixed on your V from the Fall Run?

Vince
Always ride as if all the car drivers are trying to kill you and make it look like an accident, because some of them are.

glennw

Thanks everybody...
Vince Dee, a bad YCIS and the hose from the airbox to the front cylinder was off was making all that noise..  Hose the hose back up and capped off the lines for YCIS.. and stuck it the drawer...
GlennW
Half Mad Max

dminor

Glenn glad you had a great ride. I wish I had known, I would have brought  the LT.
Don ;D

glennw

I've been think of getting an RV Don.... ;)
Half Mad Max

dminor

Glenn,
   680 in 3 days of riding? I did that in 1 and rode back the next day! Call my LT what you will . It's just bike envy.
::)

PS happy b-day ( you old fart).

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

darkvision

Glenn,
Happy Birthday! Remember that its just numbers and that the alternate is unacceptable at this time. Great way to celebrate.
I'm glad to hear you found the source of your noise and fixed it.
Best wishes  Vic

Coil Coyle

Glenn,

;D           Happy Birthday                                               ;D               
         For my Birthday I took a spin around the parking lot with stock pipes on the V, then went back to building the plant. :P
         For your birthday we cooked the first Amy's pizzas at our new Medford plant.
         Soon, I'm gonna take my Belated Birthday ride to swap this Vision for my Flying Pig at my sons place in Ridgecrest. We'll come by your place on our way to Hollywood to see my daughter Donna.

See Ya soon,

coil

visionless

Glen,
  Thanks for the great ride!  Nothing quite like wet sandy (don't forget all the cow s#@t) roads to make for a exciting ride.  I need to find sometime to get over to dad's house to finish the repair job to my Vision.  It is amazing how well it survived the Fall Ride Crash.  Once it is fixed and Dad gets his going, we will have to head over and explore some more of your roads.  Maybe we can exchange those free meals at Firestone for free beers.
                     Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

glennw

Chris.... I'm up for that!
I'm thinking we need to add a teckie type in the CROV group so we can record the trip up the Lions trail and show the rest of the country what kind of roads we have out here..... ::)
Then again maybe we better not... ;)
glenn
Half Mad Max

visionless

I've been trying to come up with a way to convince the wife I need a GPS.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
           Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

YellowJacket!

Quote from: visionless on October 26, 2006, 01:04:22 PM
I've been trying to come up with a way to convince the wife I need a GPS.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
           Chris

Chris,
Do you have a pocket PC?
I have a Dell Axim X5 that has a CF and SD slot.  I got a CF GPS on ebay for 41.00 and loaded it on my pocket PC  Works great.  Its a good alternative if you already have the pocket PC with dual slots.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)