News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

doh!

Started by tben, January 22, 2008, 03:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tben

I was riding my Vision to work this evening (6-6 graveyard shift) and decided to stop at the corner grocery to get some coffee. It had been cold all day but sunny and nice. As I turned right through the intersection at about 5 mph my front wheel went out and I hit the ground faster than I have maybe ever experienced. I had noticed the wet spot on the road but did not realize it was black ice. It was in the dark, in the middle of a busy intersection so I leaped to my feet and hauled the bike to the side of the road embarrassed but completely unhurt, not even a scratch on my jeans or riding jacket. Unfortunately I crushed my right blinker, headlight and mirror but as far as I'm concerned if thats the only real damage I'm happy. Weird thing though, the bike would not turn over and the oil/neut/high beam lights would not come on even thought the tail light was working. It was dark and I had to get to work though so my bike is in some guys driveway waiting 'till I can pick it up tomorrow. My roommate was cool enough to come get me up right away. I was frustrated but I keep telling myself this is why for my first bike I got a one that is two years older than me and is already scratched up. ;D
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

kwells

Sorry to here Tben
It's 3:45 and Im up looking at the wiring diagram for a gremlin I have.  What side hit?  If the starter will not engage at all...then I would suspect the kill switch either being pushed to the off position or being damaged.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

tben

It was a right side hit, not a bad guess. I'll be checking it out tomorrow.
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

kwells

well being that it was the right side I would suspect the kill switch then
good luck
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

might want to check inside the crushed headlight bucket. a connector might have seperated or a wire pinched
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

smknjoe1964

Hey Tben !
        Ive an extra headlight, turn signal and mirror Ill let ya have cheap !

tben

Quote from: smknjoe1964 on January 22, 2008, 04:37:15 PM
Hey Tben !
        Ive an extra headlight, turn signal and mirror Ill let ya have cheap !
That would be great!

I took a look at the bike in daylight today and so far the damage seems to be:
Smashed left blinker
Smashed headlight bucked but lens and chrome ring OK
Right mirror torn in half
Dented Tank, looks like a small dent from blinker
And the kicker:
My ignition module (thing the key goes into) is broken at the bottom. It looks like the headlight was pushed back into it and busted the bottom half off.

Other than that it seems to be ok ::). Really I am just relieved that I'm ok and I didn't hit anyone else. :)
-Joseph Addison

Night Vision

not so bad...

no personal harm.... no personal foul  ;)

give me a day or three and I might be able to find that lower ignition part.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Those headlight lenses are a menace.
The one on tractor bike took out the forks!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Healight lenses are seemingly indestructible!  Inane is right - Tractor took a hard hit on the front end last summer - everything up front damaged, even tore the turn stop tab off the frame (along with part of the steering tube itself).   ::)

Only reusable part up there is the headlamp lens.  Gauges mangled & it definitely is glass, not plastic covering the gauge faces.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

tben

I got a new ignition of ebay for 20 bucks plus shipping. Comes with the rear lock and keys! ;D
Whats the story on replace the plastics around the speedo and tach but not the whole unit? A good size chunk was taken off mine but the main bits seem fine.

N_V: thanks for the offer but don't worry about it.
-Joseph Addison

inanecathode

The gauges i'm pretty sure are seperate from the plastic body. You should be able to graft your internals into a different box.

h2olawyer

It's just a matter of finding the box parts.  The innards are separate.  Might be easier to find a set of gauges & swap out the housing so you can use either the internals you have or if the gauge faces look better on the replacements, use them instead.  82 gauge sets are fairly common & not normally too expensive.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

If theres a bike yard around, its very easy to find a set of vision gauges with the face/innards smashed out. They'll prolly give you the box for cheap.

tben

there's a place called Bent Bikes near me. I'm hoping to hit them up in the next couple of weeks. I'm also looking for some 83 pegs and bars and all the business thats needed with those.
-Joseph Addison

inanecathode

Those will be pretty hard to find, everyone and their mom puts 83 pegs and risers on their 82 :o