Would you buy it?

Started by tt315, June 09, 2009, 08:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tt315

1983 Yamah Vision for sale. 4500 miles. Needs clutch cable, tires, battery and side mirror  - 300 dollars.

I found this ad locally and am going to get more infomation.  I have seen 4 or 5 visions for sale locally but this is the first 83. 

Just wanted some input if i should buy it regardless of condition for the rarer pieces. I hope its in nice condition so i can get it running for my father. I already have a good running 82 but it seems like 83 are the holy grail of visions.  If i don't get it I will gladly pass along the infomation. 

What a funny habit vision are.  i like working / thinking about mine as much as riding 

don_vanecek

Well, if it is truly complete other then the items you stated, I'd grab it. Keep in mind of course it will still take you perhaps another several hundred dollars yet to get it in running shape. Perhaps he will go down some more-bet it hasn't been ran in years. A really bad gas tank could make me think twice though.

QBS

If you buy it and decide to part out,  I seriously want to talk to you about the exhaust system. 

inanecathode

83 is a much higher quality bike than the 82, if its actually an 83 you're looking at you shouldnt hesitate to buy it.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Actually, I'd say the quality of 82s & 83s is about the same.  The 83s, however, are improved.  Better front brake, air forks, rear shock, carbs (some say improved for 83) and a sportier riding position.  But the actual quality of the pieces is unchanged - both years were well made.  Both have about the same issues after 25+ years.

I know it's just a matter of linguistics, but higher quality does not mean the same thing as improvements, upgrades or enhancements.  Higher quality connotes better materials, manufacturing techniques, tolerances, etc.  The 83 Vision is a more refined bike than the 82 - which is common for the second year of most models.

Sorry for letting my 'evil lawyer side' out.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Offer him $200.00 and settle for $250.00 ;)...but go and buy her... 8)

Hey, what did you expect me to say :o ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D.. 8)

8)........TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 09, 2009, 03:05:57 PM
Sorry for letting my 'evil lawyer side' out.   ::)

Back, Back I Say.  Get Thee to Your Cave!

Rick G

Well i for one do not consider you an evil lawyer. good job.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

tt315

An update:
  I brought the 82 vision home on friday and road it friday night after putting a new battery and clutch cable on.   I was disappointed it wasn't an 83 but for 250 dollars i couldn't pass it up. 
So far I have:
new tires mounted
cleaned the bike cleaned up
cleaned front caliper

Have on order
fork seal,
fuse panel,
mirrors
new brake line

Need to do
change oil and filter
put new parts on
Am i missing anything important?

I am sure I have a few more things to do but it will be running hopefully by next weekend.

I will post some pictures once the vision looks more like a vision. 

h2olawyer

An 82 that is relatively easy to get roadworthy is a steal @ $250.  Good job.  An 83 in that shape for that price would have been nearly illegal!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.