News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

25 year anniversary meet

Started by h2olawyer, May 12, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Got a thread on this subject started in the Goin' Ridin section but thought I'd continue it over here.  I know it has been discussed earlier, but if we're going to actually have a meet, & it's going to be in this general area - Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota - I need to start looking into lodging options & get something tentatively reserved in the next couple months.

My thought is to get a couple large condominium units for a week, including the weekends at both ends for a total of 9 days.  Many of the condos near ski resorts can sleep 10 or 12 people.  The rates for summer are fairly low - like $80 - $100 per night.  5 people per condo unit would be about $20 per night per person.  Divided among several people, it beats any motel prices & you won't have to eat every meal in restaurants.  I think it would be a great option.  If anyone wanted more privacy, motels & lower occupancy condos are plentiful in the area as well.  I'm currently investigating condos & other lodging options in the Winter Park - Fraser area.  Just a preliminary look, not contacting any yet.

This area is about 70 miles West of Denver and in the middle of tons of great riding.  Everything from fairly challenging twisties to wide open sweepers.  There's also lots of stuff for non-riding family members to enjoy.  Rocky Mountain National Park, museums, alpine slide, scenic road trips, mountain biking - most of the Winter Park ski area is open to mountain mikes in the summer, plus you can get a ride up one of the lifts with your bike & ride it down!  (rental bikes are available)

As for timing, the roads are normally sand-free by June 1st.  Mountain weather can be unpredictable but generally, the temps from June through mid September are great for riding.  Mornings all summer are cool but the lack of humidity means the temps rise quickly.

Let me know your thoughts.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ps2/bikevision

Quoteplus you can get a ride up one of the lifts with your bike & ride it down!  (rental bikes are available)

um i think ill leave that one alone. i can speak from experence that a vision does not handle well in a corn field and riding down a ski hill.

i dont think so. mabe up and take the lift down.

so h2olawyer you making yourself the ride leader then. get it planned and ill be there with bells on. i wont get any projects going before had so i dont have any reason not to go. im gonna miss out on alot of rides this year. im at least hoping to get to the dragon even if its by myself.

QBS

Has a date been fixed yet?  If so, when?

h2olawyer

No fixed date yet.  Want to see when most people want to go - June through mid-September would be best for timing - good riding temps.  May could be done but there's still a chance of sand on some roads and it does still snow up there in May.  Besides, Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park doesn't typically open until Memorial Day weekend.  July & early August are the warmest (70s to 80s (F) for highs, lows in the low 40s).  By later in September, there's a chance of snowstorms at those elevations.  Nothing major & it won't stick around for long, but could put a damper on any riding.  No matter when we schedulr the event, expect cool temps on Trail Ridge Road 12,000+ ft. or Mt. Evans - paved road to over 14,000 ft.  The other passes will be in the 60s to 70s (F).

I'm volunteering to get the lodging set up & contact any merchants / vendors in the area to see about some tie-ins / freebies & promotions.  I also know & have ridden all the good paved roads in north-central Colorado (along with many of the 4x4 trails - but that would be for another forum & trip).

As for biking down the mountain - there are several routes available from winding roads to YEE-HAW rip snortin' ski runs.  Didn't mean the Vs would do it,  ::)  thought that for the non V riding people coming along, it could be a fun way to spend an afternoon.  Want to make this as family friendly as possible.  Colorado is more than a winter playground!  There's the Georgetown Loop narrow gauge railroad, whitewater rafting, tons of fishing (trout), hiking, horseback riding, sightseeing, museums & shopping all close to Fraser.

With a 9 day span for the event, there could be one or two overnight trips as well.  Snowy Range Road can be done in a day from Fraser, but it would be a long day.  There are several campgrounds in the Medicine Bow National Forest that would make for a great 2 day ride.  A trip to Steamboat Springs, over Rabbit Ears & Gore passes would be another either long 1 day or easy 2 day ride.

What we need to do now is to decide on a tentative date, get some idea of how many people will be coming & what types of accomodations people want.  Motels, B&Bs, condos or maybe even a house should all be available.

If it's to be in Colorado, give me info!  Otherwise, I may pick a date & lodging that the majority of you may not like.   ;D

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

visionless

June would be great for me.  I teach until the end of May and Laguna Seca is in July.  If it's June in Colorado, I'll do everything I can to be there.
                   Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

MotorPlow

Just set the date for me and I will do what I can to get there. Of course I have to work things out with the wife and probably have to do like Mutt does... Go on Vacation with the family and take a second Vaction with the V. Got into trouble this last trip as the only other vacation we are taking is to my brother's wedding in Boston next month.

Mutt

Yea well Colorado's going to have to be something more drastic than a family vacation. I'm going to have to go shopping at Zales "the diamond people".  :-X

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

Quote from: Mutt on May 13, 2006, 12:47:22 AM
Yea well Colorado's going to have to be something more drastic than a family vacation. I'm going to have to go shopping at Zales "the diamond people".  :-X

Mutt

Gotta keep that "avatar" happy!   ;D

H2O

Mutt

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 13, 2006, 12:52:01 AM
Quote from: Mutt on May 13, 2006, 12:47:22 AM

Mutt

Gotta keep that "avatar" happy!   ;D

H2O

Yep, she looks just like my wife....well she has a nose, two eyes, hair, mouth... :-X

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

Coil Coyle

H2O,

That works for us.
;)
coil

h2olawyer

Depending on numbers, I've located several nice mountain homes in the area that rent for $400 - $500 per night & sleep 16.  They'll probably give some sort of discount for a 7 or 8 day rental.  Sometime next week, when I have a better idea of how many people are most likely coming, I'll begin to contact a few of these places.  They are all through various property management companies & have several sizes of homes available. 

Even if we need two or more houses, I think I can still keep the rate down to $30 - $35 \ person per night.  There are also condos - they are less per night but sleep fewer people so the rate is about the same.  If I can get a group rate on condos - probably will easily qualify - the rates will likely be a little lower.  Most places require you to reserve a minimum of 4 condo units to qualify as a group.  They normally sleep from 4 to 8 & run $120 - $250 per night (regular, non-group rates).  Condos may work better if some people can stay for only a couple nights.  We can increase or decrease the number of units as needed.

Unless I hear different, it's looking like mid to late June, 2007.  Either the week of the 9th ~ 17th or the 16th ~ 24th.  Cool, crisp mornings (mid 30s to low 40s (F)) and warmish days in the mid 60s to upper 70s (F).  The air warms quickly with the low relative humidity, but it also cools down in the evenings just as fast.

The higher passes will be in the 50s to 60s (F) in the afternoons, but time at those elevations won't last too long - except for Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park.  You can run into any kind of weather up there at any time.  After all, it peaks at over 12,000 ft.  I've been snowed on in both July & August on that road.

If June doesn't work for the majority, the alternate dates could be anytime from late July to the end of August, 2007.  Slightly warmer mornings & high temps around 80(F).  Lodging rates are quite a bit higher around July 4th.

Let me know if you are likely to attend, how many days you want to stay & how the lodging ideas sound.  I put weekends at each end so we can have time to arrive & get settled, then time to unwind before heading home.  The second weekend may be eliminated if most people want to get home before the next Monday.  Tentatively planning for the major rides & events to happen during the week, from Monday through Thursday.

You can email or PM me - whatever works for you.

H2O

tailwheel

Colorado is good for us! We have been going to Colorado for the last two years for vacation. Any time we can get above 35' MSL and see some mountains works for us. June to early August is the window that we use for vacation.

One suggestion that I have is that we should do this the week before the Sturgis rally. I don't plan on going to the rally but others may want to continue on and make it part of a bigger trip.

Dave
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT

squid

I dont care where it is!!! i am going come hell or highwater! but for a date july/ august is good for me,,,just give me lots of notice, us canadians have a bit of a haul lol

Tiger

Quote from: squid on May 14, 2006, 01:53:29 AM
I dont care where it is!!! i am going come hell or highwater! but for a date july/ august is good for me,,,just give me lots of notice, us canadians have a bit of a haul lol

8)       DITTO....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian_Matthewson

This is going to require some MAJOR negotiation with the better half!!
It's about 2500km each way which will translate into about a minimum 2 week solo vacation for me (no way will she ride).
Has anyone thought about an eastern version of the anniversary meet?
Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

Tiger

:) I agree with you Brian......This is going to cost me........LARGE.... ;D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Myself and the most really wonderful Mrs. QBS(for a recipe in maritial stress, try go to CO without her) will be in attendance.  Any good weather date in CO is good with us.  Bikes prep will begin shortly, needs a water pump seal and completion of the R/R reposition project.  The poor bike has been really neglected lately.  My, new to me, '89 BMW 635 CSi and wall to wall kitchen remodeling project get most of my attention these days.

We will be trailering our bike.  If the wife didn't want to came, I would ride it.  She doesn't do long rides on the V.  Too many miles on the back of our early marriage BMW spoiled her for comfort ride.  Besides, the trip from Houston to CO is really not very photogenic and is a pretty boring drone. But, it's a very easy and comfortable two day run in the van, pulling the bike.

Those of you that will be coming long distances might want to consider trailering if possible.  Takes less time, you don't eat up a lot of your V in high speed drone mode, and...spouses and significant others might be a lot more inclined to approve if they could come along and have a vacation too.

All the Best.  Cheers.

Ron_McCoy

tailwheel

We will probably trailer two of the bikes there. I have no idea what route we would take from here in Florida but we would be interested in meeting up on the way with others and could provide support for those riding there that have any problems.
Dave
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT