News:

Main Menu

new paint

Started by ps2/bikevision, August 09, 2008, 05:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

finally got around to giving the old girl some new paint. didnt turn out too bad for a rattle can. not as good as i would of liked but not bad for now. it was good pratice though.

i put the last coat on at 11:30 last night, and had to ride it to a job site at 8 am this morning. got home at 4pm and it started raining at 4:30. i guess i got home just in time. dont know what rain would do to fresh paint but i dont want to find out. i picked up some clear coat made for engines. it says on the can that its oil and gas resistent. going to try it on the tank.

h2olawyer

Looks snazzy!  Nice color scheme.  Rain probably wouldn't have hurt things, but it's good that you got it home before finding out.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

i hope you read this before you clearcoat...

test the paint for compatibility before you clearcoat your bike!!!

if they aren't compatable, the whole thing will wrinkle badly & will eat into the plastics...

paint something else first, let it dry then clearcoat it to be sure!!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

abogado68

Very nice paint job, the graphics look cool and fresh on the bike.

Rick G

I applied  ACE hardware's clear lacquer over my Duplicolor  paint , after testing compatibility . It was OK for a while , but gas worked under the edge around the  filler neck and ruined  the paint. I  believe that the paint it self needs to be gas resistant ( no paint is really gas proof, all will suffer some degradation over time).  I think I'll paint it with refrigerator epoxy, most likely almond. Ya sure!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike