Tank seal inquiry

Started by Shop Rat, June 04, 2008, 08:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shop Rat

I know many have had success with POR tank sealer. Has anyone tried this stuff?:

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Windjammer

Yep. Did this about a month ago and was really impressed. It's more spendy than the POR stuff, but according to their literature it will outlast it. Here's a before and after pic.

Quote from: Shop Rat on June 04, 2008, 08:07:12 AM
I know many have had success with POR tank sealer. Has anyone tried this stuff?:

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Frank

Lucky

Q:
was it reuseable? with the POR you have to use it all at once (once you open the can)

if this stuff seals over anything, i wonder if it can be used over a fresh POR instalation (mine still weeps slightly)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Windjammer

I had a failed or failing POR or Kreem (not sure which) job in my tank before I did it. They recommend a thorough cleaning with acetone and then ratting a good handful of sheet metal screws to loosen the flakes or POR or Kreem, and then a thorough cleaning again. The Caswell stuff likes a little rust to bond to though, so don't put a rust inhibitor on it.

It is reusable, as it's two cans - one epoxy and one hardener. You can also do two coats if you want to coat it extra-super-good, but they recommend putting the second coat in within 24 hours of doing the first so that it's still tacky.

The expensive part of the job for me was the Acetone. I bought 5 gallons and let it soak, filled up 12 hours. One thing to be careful of if you do this - Acetone seems to expand. It burbled out over my tank. (see where the paint's missing around the rim?)  Luckily that was most of the damage. I lost a little clear coat, but not too noticeable.

Quote from: Lucky on June 04, 2008, 10:20:10 AM
Q:
was it reuseable? with the POR you have to use it all at once (once you open the can)

if this stuff seals over anything, i wonder if it can be used over a fresh POR instalation (mine still weeps slightly)

Lucky

my thought is that since the POR is new, & all the steps were done, i could clean the POR coating well with simple green, & just buy a small amount to get into the corners.  that's what i think happened with the first attempt though, not enough POR.  i've PORed other tanks & never had a problem though...

Shop Rat

Thanks, guys, for the feedback.  I'll be headed to their store soon to buy some.  Now that our illustrious NY Governor has decreed that on-line sellers must collect NY sales tax from us, there's little reason not to buy locally. I guess that's not a bad thing.

Frank

Quote from: Windjammer on June 04, 2008, 10:47:41 AM
I had a failed or failing POR or Kreem (not sure which) job in my tank before I did it. They recommend a thorough cleaning with acetone and then ratting a good handful of sheet metal screws to loosen the flakes or POR or Kreem, and then a thorough cleaning again. The Caswell stuff likes a little rust to bond to though, so don't put a rust inhibitor on it.

It is reusable, as it's two cans - one epoxy and one hardener. You can also do two coats if you want to coat it extra-super-good, but they recommend putting the second coat in within 24 hours of doing the first so that it's still tacky.

The expensive part of the job for me was the Acetone. I bought 5 gallons and let it soak, filled up 12 hours. One thing to be careful of if you do this - Acetone seems to expand. It burbled out over my tank. (see where the paint's missing around the rim?)  Luckily that was most of the damage. I lost a little clear coat, but not too noticeable.

Quote from: Lucky on June 04, 2008, 10:20:10 AM
Q:

'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

firstone

That's the material I used on my tank.  Seems to be holding up pretty well.  As for using it in smaller doses, why?  The material is two part and hardens in thick sections.  I used the entire mix rotating the tank to cover the entire surface and then by standing the tank on end for a bit before lowering it, to distribute the material evenly R/L, was able to eliminate all of the low spots.  The level at the petcock ended up being ~ 1/8" thick and the low points solid epoxy.

reardeac

i took mine to a local radiatior shop and they cleaned and sealed it for me for 50 bucks. i thought it was well worth it to save the time.

Shop Rat

What did they use for sealer? $50 is a good price.

FC

Quote from: reardeac on June 05, 2008, 11:04:59 AM
i took mine to a local radiatior shop and they cleaned and sealed it for me for 50 bucks. i thought it was well worth it to save the time.
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Windjammer

Not a bad idea!  I'm curious to know what they used too.

Quote from: reardeac on June 05, 2008, 11:04:59 AM

Tiffanator

Lucky... I emailed an asked the people at POR about a second coat of POR on the inside of the tank because I was still having some leaks after I did my tank. Their answer was NO, do NOT recoat the inside of the tank, it will peel. Once the POR is on it must be removed entirely before you can coat the inside of the tank with anything else. Any resealing must be done from the outside. So what I did was dremel around where the leaks were coming from and filled in with JB weld, no more leaks.
Looking back over my whole experience I really should have just taken the tank to a radiator shop and had them do it all for me. Oh well, lesson learned.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

reardeac

Im not sure what they used. its a transparent red in color and have it put in everything when i buy it new. it holds up really well

inanecathode

Quote from: Tiffanator on June 10, 2008, 10:38:48 AM
Lucky... I emailed an asked the people at POR about a second coat of POR on the inside of the tank because I was still having some leaks after I did my tank. Their answer was NO, do NOT recoat the inside of the tank, it will peel. Once the POR is on it must be removed entirely before you can coat the inside of the tank with anything else. Any resealing must be done from the outside. So what I did was dremel around where the leaks were coming from and filled in with JB weld, no more leaks.
Looking back over my whole experience I really should have just taken the tank to a radiator shop and had them do it all for me. Oh well, lesson learned.
Tiff.

+1 on this one
I accidentally pored over a previous por job. Third fillup i pulled a 2 by 2 sheet of dried por out.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

ok, point taken. thanks both of you.  i have to investigate it further when i have time, right now Touring Vision is sick, won't idle below 3-4 grand.  i need it to get to work, so i've been running with the choke on till i can get a look at it tomorrow (day off).

Thanks, --Lucky