News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

sidestand switch

Started by kev10104, June 21, 2010, 07:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev10104

I was in Toronto at 2 in the morning and went to take off but the bike died when I went to put it into first.This has happened a few times but with putting the kickstand up and down it was corrected.So I am ready to go hook up with Tiger and the gang when it happens again.A quick call to my buddy and were ready to roll.But the family had other ideas so I couldn't go out and play.So I went back to the bike to cool off a little and decided to investigate this little problem a little more and noticed the pin that goes up and down when the kickstand was raised or lowered was a little seized.I took the stand off and took it all apart and added some wd40 to loosen it up and VOILA,it works great now.Easy fix for a simple problem.

QBS

All will be great until the next time the switch fails.  The side stand safety switch is a chronic source of trouble on Vs.  You should defeat it and be very careful to always put your side stand up before moving off from a stop.  I truely loved my side stand safety switch and the reassureance it gave me.  But, it eventually became so problematic that I couldn' live with it.  Things like killing the engine in the midst of passing 18 wheelers at high speeds in heavy traffic will do that to you.  Defeat this "safety" switch before it hurts you...bad.

JohnAMcG

Yeah, my side stand relay had to come out right away.  I had it on the centerstand so long working on it, when I finally got a chance to ride it, I am pretty new to motorcycles, I parked it on the side stand.  Wanting to know if it would start up again, as I had just replaced the battery and stator, and being sure, of course, that I had parked it in neutral...  I hit the start button.  It wasn't in neutral, and lurched and flopped.  I had to get a new clutch lever, and turn signal.  I learned my lesson though. 
    I like the one guy who says he puts his side stand up by turning left.  -JM
-JM

Blurred Vision

I did that once but not on purpose, what a strange sensation having the rear end jump over a few inches without my doing as the side stand dug into the pavement lol. We only do those things once eh, we all must be quick learners lol.
Jay

inanecathode

Or you could just lubricate the pin and not have to deal with the safety hazard or be tearing up the harness because you're unwilling to fix it the right way?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

QBS

It lives at the worst possible location for the acquisition of dirt and mud.  Grease doesn't stay there very long and what little remains, collects dirt that eventually gets inside the plunger and seizes it.

Tiger

:) Given the position of the switch, a wee bit of maintenance will see it through ::).

I remove the switch from the side stand, clean off all the gunk build up and lube'...VOILA, simple!!!

I use a synthetic spray grease that can only be cleaned off with a solvent product...it resists oxidation, is unaffected by moisture and won't wash out or weather away. I use this on ALL my rebuilds...and "The Mistress" has given me six years now of trouble free riding... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Quote from: QBS on June 23, 2010, 04:38:22 PM
It lives at the worst possible location for the acquisition of dirt and mud.  Grease doesn't stay there very long and what little remains, collects dirt that eventually gets inside the plunger and seizes it.

Isnt there a boot on it? Might be cornfusing a couple different bikes with the V.

QBS

There should be, but there isn't.

Re-Vision

Tiger, is this Synthetic Spray Grease something we can get locally. If not tell us where and how to get it.    BDC

Tiger

Quote from: Re-Vision on June 24, 2010, 10:11:15 AM
Tiger, is this Synthetic Spray Grease something we can get locally. If not tell us where and how to get it.    BDC

:) It is an industrial grade product that my customers buy for $20.00 a can, (min' six per case)!!! It is a product that I use a lot during my Vision rebuilds/servicing work.

I'm sure there are similar products available at your local automotive stores...ask if they carry any synthetic spray grease...and don't forget to check the label!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kev10104

There is a boot on it bu it only keeps out so much.

Rick G

As for me I removed the switch and relay along with the clutch switch and front brake switch. 28 year old switches and relays do impress me with there reliability.
I back dated it to somewhere around 1969 , suits me fine . I have no problem with the side stand , I forget to raise it all the time , when it hits the pavement it pops right up. Can't speak for others!
I removed the front brake light switch, so I can slow down without betraying it to any L.E.O.'s behind me.
An old trick from days of yore.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Hey fuck it, take out the idle jet too cause really you're dont really need to idle it if you're riding all the time.

Rick G

Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

Like most experienced riders. I use the front brake far more than the rear. And my oversized rotors make it worth it.  So disconnecting front brake switch does not seem logical. And as far as lurching off the sidestand. I rewired my switch. It no longer kills the engine. I use the Center Stand 99% of the time. This is the easiest bike to put on the center. Anyone over 5'2" and 110# should be able to do it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

inanecathode

Re-Vision

I concur with Rick. Why not delete that which serves no purpose.   BDC

Lucky

Quote from: jasonm. on June 25, 2010, 07:00:05 PM
This is the easiest bike to put on the center. Anyone over 5'2" and 110# should be able to do it.

Lol, tell that to my wife (5' 7", 108 lbs)  I guess that 3 pounds makes all the difference..  :)

She can Alllmmmooossst get it on the stand....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Putting a bike on the centre stand is largely technique . The only one that gives me a pain  , is the Gold wing . It is best done with a  crew  and a winch.
Put ALL your weight on the arm and lift a little on the handle.  

As far as my removal of "safety switches "  I {and a few others on this forum}  started riding before the lawyers ( sorry H2)  got involved . Proper stopping technique requires the use of both brakes as a team, so there is always a brake light available. Being able to slow down with out lighting up the rear of the bike  and  drawing attention of a LEO  is an advantage , learned during my youth . IE: before the lawyers started designing bikes.
The clutch switch is just a nuisance . pulling in the clutch and starting the bike is an automatic reflex.

Speaking of my youth  , we used to have a sport , during test rides , We would ride over an over pass and notice a LEO checking us out ( motorcycles had only become respectable a few years before ) he would be headed  north on the other side of the divider . we would catch the west bound on ramp on the Santa Anna fwy. pass under the over pass and immediately take the off ramp going north . Upon reaching Rosemead blvd , we would take the east bound on ramp to the Santa Anna fwy east bound , then take the off ramp to Rosemead blvd south (where we started ) a couple of circuits and we would have the LEO on the lower level and we could proceed unmolested. Grand sport!!!!
You can see where  a lack of a brake light might be useful!
Rick G